The new football season...

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
Anyone else like me, struggling to give a toss about the new season?

I have been a fan of football all my days, but the greed and hype and money and exposure of the Premiership is killing my interest dead.

Even my conference team don't get me so excited nowadays and that is supposed to be 'real' football...

:?

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I lost interest a while ago. I'll still check out the odd game on tv if I have nothing else planned, but it really doesn't get me going. Sadly sports like cricket are being badly affected due to potential inflows of money too. It seems that any sport in the world takes a turn for the worse when it sells out for its share of the pie and all the competitors become obsessed by earning as much as possible, even if it is more than they could ever spend in a lifetime.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    You are both mad! The season will start and you will both be back, you'll see. I believe that you may have been hanging on to the back pages of the press for any precious information about who you are going to sign and now yes its getting boring. The Christiano Ronaldo saga has made sure of that.

I mentioned to my GF yesterday that the season was almost upon us and that she should not expect my Company on Saturday afternoons until May next year and I promised to give her enough notice for Sunday games too :lol:

Yes players are getting silly money and behaving like a bunch of Prima donnas. But your team will still be there. I cant wait.

COME ON YOU SPURS :P !

And to Mr Berbatov, where would you like to go? I will drive you there you effing prick! Get out of my team, well, for more than £25m anyway :shock:

Just think, you could be a Toon fan and have KK expect you to give Barton another second chance and expect that you cheer him on too.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    football is fupped- the "premier" league and sky have seen to that

hate football-love the walton whitesox
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm as excited as ever I'm afraid!
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Maybe they should bring back the close season.

Now there effectively isn't one and the sports pages are full of stories made up by journalists or put up by agents trying to drive their percentage up.

Money corrupts. The kind of money now involved in football corrupts absolutely. Or we could support Stenhousemuir they must be near Corinthian!
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    I (and a few others here, bless 'em) can't wait to see Mr. Michael Adams reawaken the Sleeping Giant that is Brighton and Hove Albion FC.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    No interest, never was interested, a bunch of overpaid, undertallented yobs.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • fast as fupp
    do you have any sweeping generalisations about cyclists adam?
  • owaingibby
    owaingibby Posts: 240
    No interest, never was interested, a bunch of overpaid, undertallented yobs.

Might be a sweeping statement but I agree with it!
  • Dan777
    Dan777 Posts: 49
    have to agree with jimmy the cuckoo, used to love football, as the money and hype have taken over my interest has dwindled. Cycling has filled the void left by my lost interest in football. cant believe how much mediocre average players are paid and how they are treated by the media. Football would be a great game if it wasnt for the people actually involved in the professional side of it.
  • fast as fupp
    Dan777 wrote:
    have to agree with jimmy the cuckoo, used to love football, as the money and hype have taken over my interest has dwindled. Cycling has filled the void left by my lost interest in football. cant believe how much mediocre average players are paid and how they are treated by the media. Football would be a great game if it wasnt for the people actually involved in the professional side of it.

speaking of mediocre-the RS have just paid £20m for robbie keane-an average 28 year old forward hes getting £80k a week!!!

as for chealsea and kaka?????................

its a joke
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Will always love football, just by October I guess not as much as in August, still as a City fan another 6 points from the Stretford rangers (cockny reds) will do me again and keep up the love of all things Blue

CTID :lol:
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Even my conference team don't get me so excited nowadays and that is supposed to be 'real' football
    That's quite understandable considering they are just a conference team, I wouldn't expect you to know anything about premier league football, or even the Championship or league one or league two, nor would I expect you to know anything about the FA cup beyond the qualifying rounds :twisted:
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    overpaid nancys kickin a ball about with no respect for authority with too much media coverage basically i f***in hate it :twisted: all my mates love it but then again i never have wanted to be a sheep an i wont be turned
    cheesy quaver
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    iv been a man u fan for over 30yrs.
    but was happy as a pig in shit when my son asked my to get him a season for stockport county at least he is following a team that looks after it fans (£50 for the year)
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    .....but was happy as a pig in shoot when my son asked my to get him a season for stockport county ....

.....and very likely very happy that the 6 points you "gave" to City didn't cost owt really. ( anyone but Chelsea, me)
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • I'm an Arsenal fan, as such. I don't go watch, it's way too expensive, it's really not worth £50. But even the conference teams prices can seem a bit much, I usually go watch Woking play, but it's £12 - £15 to get in, for not very good football. I can't be arsed to watch Basingstoke play because they're just awful. However, I'm thinking of riding down to Winchester a few times, it's cheaper and makes for good exercise to get there. Reading is nearby too.

I suppose I'll just watch it now and then, but no doubt I'll be hooked on it again sooner or later.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    believe that you may have been hanging on to the back pages of the press for any precious information

Nope, not interested anymore. The rise of the football agent has coincided with the decline of my passion for the game.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    pedylan wrote:
    Maybe they should bring back the close season.

Now there effectively isn't one and the sports pages are full of stories made up by journalists or put up by agents trying to drive their percentage up.

Money corrupts. The kind of money now involved in football corrupts absolutely. Or we could support Stenhousemuir they must be near Corinthian!

Still looking forward to the season all the same, as I don't support a Premiership team (though I do follow a side which manages an unsuccessful bash at promotion to Rupert Murdoch's aforementioned money-go-round most seasons).
    If it's a Corinthian ethic you're after, right country, wrong team - you should be following Queen's Park; the only amateur outfit in the whole Scottish League, I believe.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • jimmythecuckoo
    You should all support Weymouth imo.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Never heard of them.
  • You should all support Weymouth imo.

I was down in Weymouth on Sunday, saw a few people wearing the shirt. I have a bit of a soft spot for Weymouth, and I've no idea why. I seem to like most southern clubs (that aren't in London or Aldershot). What is Weymouth's ground like? I might have to visit sometime this season, I'm always down in Poole at least twice a month.
  • DavidBelcher
    However, I'm thinking of riding down to Winchester a few times, it's cheaper and makes for good exercise to get there.

Didn't even know there was a local team of note in Winchester. Although Eastleigh is just down the road - apparently they're a pretty decent non-league outfit.

David
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    If it's a Corinthian ethic you're after, right country, wrong team - you should be following Queen's Park; the only amateur outfit in the whole Scottish League, I believe.

David

Never say only amateur outfit until you've seen Kilmarnock on a bad day. :wink:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I'm a football fan of no fixed loyalty so I do enjoy watching Motd and the odd quality fixture but to me, the important stuff is the internationals so I usually watch with an eye on the England players. Due to that I always find it a bit strange when the season starts after a dissapointing campaign in the Euros or World cup. I feel a bit cheated that the England players will run out and give it everything for their clubs when they look so shabby in the England shirt. While those countries that qualified for the Euros have been enjoying a brilliant championship, having failed to qualify, we were watching the matches thinking how we would have got d1cked on by most teams in the quarter final stages.

I find it hard to watch the England representatives running out at the start of the club season because I think they should be ashamed that they haven't managed to deliver on the most important stage. They can score a hatful of beautiful goals but for me, if they don't take that form into an England shirt, I'm disappointed. Course, I know that for alot of football fans, the club is the number one priority but I always thought that playing for you national team should always be the ultimate goal and all the big club matches should be considered as training for that goal but it looks like alot of players don't feel that. England duty is just a little jolly away from the more important club duties.
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Football I think I know it, Isn't that the game where you have a wooden bat and you have to hit the dart into the hole in the ground?
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    With Mickey Adams back at the helm at Brighton, a new stadium on the way and a shiny 2008/9 season ticket at the ready - I'm very excited :D
  • I'm a football fan of no fixed loyalty so I do enjoy watching Motd and the odd quality fixture but to me, the important stuff is the internationals so I usually watch with an eye on the England players. Due to that I always find it a bit strange when the season starts after a dissapointing campaign in the Euros or World cup. I feel a bit cheated that the England players will run out and give it everything for their clubs when they look so shabby in the England shirt. While those countries that qualified for the Euros have been enjoying a brilliant championship, having failed to qualify, we were watching the matches thinking how we would have got d1cked on by most teams in the quarter final stages.

I find it hard to watch the England representatives running out at the start of the club season because I think they should be ashamed that they haven't managed to deliver on the most important stage. They can score a hatful of beautiful goals but for me, if they don't take that form into an England shirt, I'm disappointed. Course, I know that for alot of football fans, the club is the number one priority but I always thought that playing for you national team should always be the ultimate goal and all the big club matches should be considered as training for that goal but it looks like alot of players don't feel that. England duty is just a little jolly away from the more important club duties.

The only problem with the England squad is that no one is proud to be English. Players treat it as another "club" game, or like you say, a jolly outing, no one does it for pride in that team. It's why I feel proud to be (quarter) Welsh, you can feel a sense of pride in the way they play, and the young players are starting to look really good.
  • DavidBelcher
    Course, I know that for alot of football fans, the club is the number one priority but I always thought that playing for you national team should always be the ultimate goal and all the big club matches should be considered as training for that goal but it looks like alot of players don't feel that. England duty is just a little jolly away from the more important club duties.

Probably doesn't help that some Premiership managers are of the opinion that international football is a complete waste of time and the club game must take priority, no doubt passing this mindset on to their players; Arsene Wenger is the main culprit that springs to mind, though given that your average Gunners line-up these days is largely French, probably not the best example to pick....

David
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    I've had a season ticket at Newcastle since 1973, obviously I have no high hopes for the forthcoming season

you lot are soccer fans, which by the way is an insult, just in case you didn't realise