Does new chainset mean have to change cassette as well?

dodgyknees
dodgyknees Posts: 148
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Have developed a lot of slipping & clanking when on the middle chainring. No problem on the small or large ring so inspected the middle one and it appears worn - generally gets the most use I guess.

Existing chainset is a tapered SR Suntour (came with bike) and doesn't look like you can change the rings so have placed an order on Wiggle for a new Shimano one. Working to a tight budget so have gone for a Shimano M442.

My question is do I have to change the rear cassette at the same time?

Figured I'd need to change the chain but could do without the expense of having to change the rear cassett as well if it's not really necessary.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is worn then yes. if not then no.

and also check the wear in the chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dodgyknees
    dodgyknees Posts: 148
    Thanks for the quick reply.

The rear cassette looks ok & I don't have any problems with the gears when I'm on the large or small chainring so I'll hold off changing the cassette for now.
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    If your replacing the chain it's best to replace the cassette to, cos it might not mesh with the old cassette and you may end up with slippage again. So if your not able to spend the money, keep your existing chain.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.