Splitting a SRAM powerlink...how?

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
OK I give up.

Installed a new SRAM chain with Powerlink the other day. I was going to take it off to clean, but there is clearly some knack or tool required for breaking the chain which I have not worked out...

...any ideas?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Squeeze the link across the chain then slide, or alternatively give it a squeeze diagonally in such a way as to open it with pliers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    push together with a waggle or 5.. some needle nose pliers may help. and then there are some special pliers to do it for you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    Yes. it is worth practicing with it off the bike as it is a doddle when you know how but a right PITA when you don't.
    But that is not very helpful is it? :lol:

I tend to use long nose pliers to gently push the rollers together while squeezing the side plates with my fingers. Should take much force but sometimes wiggling the links at the same time helps.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I have yet to be able to open one myself. Gave up last time and broke it with a chain tool (I was replacing the chain anyway.) I have since acquired a pliers; will try that next time.

Bear in mind that if it is a 10 speed link they are not reusable, you'll need to replace with a new one. 9 speed are reusable.

EDIT: Sorry, missed that I was in the MTB forum! The link will be reusable for you so.
  • Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    Nice one, thanks, I'll have a go with some pliers. I don't think I was squeezing across/diagonally at all, will try again!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I wouldn't try with pliers. They pliers tend to be at an obtuse angle making them slip off the rollers causing much swearing.

It really is easy once you know how: squeeze the plates together and then slide them towards each other waggling gently as you go.

Anyone tried a 10sp powerlink on the road chains. Still can't get that undone although it's still easier to fit than a Shimano chain.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I have a 9sp on one bike but have never tried to remove it. So I only have experience with the 10sp one. I can't get it undone either although it is very easy to fit.