Does anybody else....

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
REALLY enjoy riding with no waterproofs on in the lashing down rain?
Or is it just me..? :)

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    only if is a summer shower and not freezing cold conditions
    cartoon.jpg
  • D@VE
    D@VE Posts: 73
    A couple of times i've found myself grinnig like a idiot through the spray :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Doobz wrote:
    only if is a summer shower and not freezing cold conditions

Aye I don't mind the rain in isolation, but 90% of the time in the UK climate getting wet normally leads to getting cold.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    I can't stand wearing plastic sheeting.If I get caught in rain I just put it down to bad luck and get home as quick as I can if it's heavy stormy rain.If it's showery I'll ride through it.
    In Feb this year I was so wet, cold and numb when I got home that I could only just unlock the door.My hands were so cold I couldn't get my cycling gear off so I got a piping hot shower while still wearing it,including footwear.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    There's a point of saturation where you just say 'oh, well'; that's when I start to enjoy it :D
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've jumped in the shower fully clothed. Simply couldn't prise the clothing from my freezing body so thought what the hell. Took my shoes and socks off mind. :wink:

I'm slowly forming the opinion (though I've not bought any high-end wet clothing etc.) that what I've got makes marginal difference. I've an Altura Night Vision jacket while it protects you from the elements, slowly turns you into a boil in the bag kipper.
    My Altura waterproof leggings might be ideal for commuting but I find them cumbersome and uncomfy.

I've also started to question the benefit of SKS RaceBlades. They kept my arse drier than doing without but they seem to direct crap at the brake callipers and, perhaps more importantly, the fork. I've started to think maybe a wet arse isn't such a price to pay compared with the damage I may be doing to the frame.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    In summer I've found it preferable to wearing waterproofs, as while I get wet, its better than being hot + wet from sweat.

Depdens on the quality of the gear and how much you're wearing, e.g. just a jacket to keep the upper body warm while letting the legs get wet, but at any other time of the year and its just cold.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Nowt wrong with a bit of summer rain. Although I tend not to go out through choice (on raod bike) when it's raining.

I think it comes from the MTB, where you haven't had any fun unless you get back wet & muddy!
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    In the summer its quite pleasurable if its not cold as well. I like the feeling of the rain running down my legs(another good reason for shaving them)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I like riding in the sunshine :D
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    bluecow wrote:
    REALLY enjoy riding with no waterproofs on in the lashing down rain?
    Or is it just me..? :)

Yeah it's great isn't it?
    Also saves on haveing a shower when you get home and washing your kit :wink:

Just so long as you don't have to put the wet kit back on later in the day coz that's grim.