1/8" or 3/32" chain for fixed???

Dustine
Dustine Posts: 184
edited August 2008 in Road general
Im just building up a new fixed and though ive been running all 1/8" up until now, due to a crank swopping problem, im wondering whether to stick with it or go to 3/32" chain. One reason being the ability to run a Surly stainless steel ring in the future if i go with a 3/32".

So, any comments about which to go for??? Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've run a 1/8" BMX c/ring with 3/32" chain on my SS. At times there was a slight hint of 'chainsuck' caused by the thinner chain not releasing from the slightly thicker c/ring but in general I didn't have no problems with the set-up. Think this was down to the chain being tighter on a SS drivetrain then it is on a derailleur set-up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    My order of preference is 1. all 1/8th or 2. all 3/32nd, but that said my Langster running 1/8th chain on 3/32nd bits and it's absolutely fine!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sheldon says 1/8

that's good enough for me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Just one man's opinion, like anyone else!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    1/8" for me purely because those are the parts I've tended to amass over the last couple of years!
  • Dustine
    Dustine Posts: 184
    I need a new crankset basically, for my fixed commuter, and its about easy purchase of chainrings and chains. I have the 1/8th cogs but would need to buy a 3/32 if i went that way.

As a slight aside, anyone point me in the direction of a chain tool which can handle track chains- my selection is thwarted by the KMC chain i just tried to fit!!! Makes me think i need to check if the one i carry in my saddle bag would actually be able to fix my chain if out on the road....
  • The hubjub one is very good. Heavy duty and really well-made.

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/etc/etc.htm
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    1/8th will allow you to use 1/8th or 3/32nd components, and to mix and match. However, on a 3/32 rig, it will be marginally more noisy. I put a 1/8th sprocket on a bike I failed to notice was running 3/32, and even on a 15t cog, it wouldn't sit down properly at all. I suggest that you use 1/8th unless you are damn sure everything you will use is 3/32.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)