Let's see if he gets his bike back

Barrie_G
Barrie_G Posts: 479
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
I see on the news that David Cameron has had his bike nicked, lets see how many coppers get put on solving this one :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7523144.stm

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Should be easy: only way it'll fetch a decent price is if advertised as "....one previous politician owner."
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Evil_Cod
    Evil_Cod Posts: 35
    You look on ebay :D It is bound to end up on there.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    The annoying thing for me is that someone (anyone) having a bike stolen is treated as a bit of a joke and quite trivial. OK Cameron's bike perhaps wasn't all that valuable and he can probably easily afford to replace it but one thing that stops me from using my bike to go into town more often is the lack of security. I'm sure that applies to a lot of people.

It's not such a big deal for me now that I qualify for a bus pass but it used to be. I even had a 'shopping bike' which had a 5 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear and had (I think) a Raleigh Lenton Sports frame sprayed all over with whatever my mate had in his spray gun at the time.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    A spokesman for Tesco said: "We are very sorry that David's bike was stolen from outside our store.

"David's setting a great example to everyone by using his bike to get around so we'll make a donation to bicycling charity Sustrans that might help ease his loss."

I'm baffled by Tesco's logic...
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    Apparently he locked it aound a bollard and all the thieves had to do was lift it over the top. There are better ways of securing your bike.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    andy_wrx wrote:
    A spokesman for Tesco said: "We are very sorry that David's bike was stolen from outside our store.

"David's setting a great example to everyone by using his bike to get around so we'll make a donation to bicycling charity Sustrans that might help ease his loss."

Indeed!

What they'd be better doing is actually creating some areas where bikes can be securely locked!!

If I take the bike to my local tesco I have to either lock it to some random railings at the other end of the car park, or risk it by locking it to the trolley park things (risk being trolleys dumped into it!) - there are NO facilities for locking the bike up at all!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    andy_wrx wrote:

Since when is Sustrans a "bicycling charity"?

They should give hime one of these:
    http://img186.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _410lo.jpg
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    andy_wrx wrote:

Yes I am too. But I fully comprehend their cynicism when it comes to cheap media coverage.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    Barrie_G wrote:
    I see on the news that David Cameron has had his bike nicked, lets see how many coppers get put on solving this one :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7523144.stm

Bet it was a sh@te bike anyway :twisted:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I'd offer him one of mine, but only if I get on the New Year Honours list once he's PM.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ricadus wrote:
    I'd offer him one of mine, but only if I get on the New Year Honours list once he's PM.

Bike for Honours?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I love a happy ending:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080726/t ... a1618.html

maybe Mr Theophile can help track down Gordon Brown's recently mislaid credability?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396

More stunning journalism...
    It was found abandoned in a side street near where it went missing, minus the front wheel - which was replaced by the newspaper
    - won't that affect the handling ? :lol:
  • Gavin Gilbert
    andy_wrx wrote:
    It was found abandoned in a side street near where it went missing, minus the front wheel - which was replaced by the newspaper
    - won't that affect the handling ? :lol:

Whilst David tried to steer down the middle of the road, his bike had a tendancy to swerve towards the extreme right :?
  • What amazes me is the guy 'locks' his bike to a bollard thinking its secure and he wants us to trust him to run the country!!
  • Gavin Gilbert
    What amazes me is the guy 'locks' his bike to a bollard thinking its secure and he wants us to trust him to run the country!!

Hell, the public will vote for anyone who doesn't put up the price of petrol, force them to recycle or stop them from borrowing money.....
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    What amazes me is the guy 'locks' his bike to a bollard thinking its secure and he wants us to trust him to run the country!!

Hell, the public will vote for anyone who doesn't put up the price of petrol, force them to recycle or stop them from borrowing money.....

that'll be good enough for me thanks!!

(although I don't need to borrow money - but thanks for the offer)
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Big news, they found it. Who cars. the story was above a mass murderer.
    I suppose that at least someone's bike was recovered. It makes a change. :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business