France - compulsory hi-viz gilets for cyclists

andymiller
andymiller Posts: 2,856
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
(Credit to thisfrenchlife.com via CTC newsletter).

From September 1st cyclists riding outside towns ('agglomerations') will need to wear a hi-viz vest at night or when visibility is poor.

Chapter and verse (in French) here:

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfrenc ... iangle.pdf

Comments

• psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    what excactly is european standard - vest or short sleeve - number of bands - the one i use is two colour vest
  • jetsonx
    jetsonx Posts: 84
    In Ireland, a substanial amount of cyclist commuters in the towns/cities wear high-viz jackets of their own volition. Unfortunately, these are the same cyclists who have absolutely no lights on their bikes.

As a motorist (and a cyclist of course) I wish they had lights first and then a high viz.

So this rule will should be effective in France, as long as lights are also compulsory.
    "Knowing and not doing are equal to not knowing at all."
    - Unknown
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    It's France it will probably get ignored.

Presumably this comes from the similar requirement for a vehicle to carry enough hi-vis vests for all occupants should they require to walk on the carriageway.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    what excactly is european standard - vest or short sleeve - number of bands - the one i use is two colour vest

I'very much doubt that the European standard would be that prescriptive. But if in doubt, if it meets the standard the garment. or the packaging, will carry a CE mark.

The document I linked to does not simply says the vest has to be 'retroréfléchissant' - so a simple fluo wouldn't be sufficient.