Best place to get routes from?

Tony1976
Tony1976 Posts: 70
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Morning people,

Ive been trying to find routes in my local area, Rossendale Lancashire, but whenever i search on some websites it only brings up one which is about 10 minutes long.

Does anyone know of a more comprehensive search site which may be able to help me? or is it just a matter of getting a map and figuring ones out myself?

Sorry if seems a numb question but i dont really know many people around my area thats into biking and i want to go out and about on my own to build up basic skills etc before i join up with others.

Cheers

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Stick a post in the MTB RIDES section and you're sure to get at least a few replies. 8)
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Some websites to have a look on are:

Mapmyride.com
    Motionbased.com
    cycle-route.com

Im sure theres loads more...

But as Impished said, nothing can compare to some local knowledge and advice. Do post a question in the Rides section and you are bound to get a response from someone local.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Buy a OS Explorer map from Smiths or Millets, of the area you are looking at, bridle paths & cycle routes are clearly marked
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Tony1976 wrote:
    Morning people,

Ive been trying to find routes in my local area, Rossendale Lancashire, but whenever i search on some websites it only brings up one which is about 10 minutes long.

Does anyone know of a more comprehensive search site which may be able to help me? or is it just a matter of getting a map and figuring ones out myself?

Sorry if seems a numb question but i dont really know many people around my area thats into biking and i want to go out and about on my own to build up basic skills etc before i join up with others.

Cheers

Get the OS Explorer/Outdoor Leisure maps for the area, and plan your own routes! That's the way I started way back when. You also pick up map-reading and navigating skills if you do this.

If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll send you some PDF format maps of some loops which will give you a good workout and help you to build up your skills. When you feel you're ready for a decent run out, give myself and/or Stumpy Jon a shout (I'm in Burnley, he's in Weir.)
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    Try www.bikely.com

Also try getting in touch with your local bike shop or local mountain bike club. They'll probably have some routes to share with you.
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Nothing really comes close to local knowledge, ask the staff at your local bike shop and people you out on the trails. we're a surprisingly friendly bunch of people don't ya know.

Its how I've found most of my riding spots including some nice hidden trails.
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Half the fun is getting the Explorer map out & finding/discovering your own loops, take the map with you & make it up as you go along if you want :D
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    As Dave_Hill said, PM me and let me know where exactly you are and you're email address. 10 min rides are few and far between but there are some excellent routes in the 15 to 20 mile bracket.

I'll dig out some of my routes and send them to you.

Once you've got a few key routes under your belt you'll start discovering more. I 'found' a piece of bridleway only a mile from the house 2 months ago and it's cracking.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Local knowledge is best....start at your local bike shops.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    google earth is a great free tool too.