How do I change gears?!

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

Would appreciate some help

Just got my first road bike. It was second hand and looks great. However having just been out on it I had to come back after 5 mins as I couldn't change the gears.

It says Shimano Sora Flightdeck Triple and has one grey lever just by each brake. I pressed both levers and the chain is now on the smallest ring front and back. I've looked all over and can't find anything to get the gears to move up.

What do I do?!

Thanks

Richard

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Richard36 wrote:
    Hi

Just got my first road bike. It was second hand and looks great. However having just been out on it I had to come back after 5 mins as I couldn't change the gears.

It says Shimano Sora Flightdeck Triple and has one grey lever just by each brake. I pressed both levers and the chain is now on the smallest ring front and back. I've looked all over and can't find anything to get the gears to move up.

What do I do?!

Thanks

Richard

Swinging the brake lever inwards does the opposite to the little button.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • richard36
    Reddragon

Thanks for your quick response.

When you mention a 'button' are you referring to the grey lever that I push down? If so are you say that I now need to push the brake lever to one side?

Thanks

Richard
  • richard36
    Reddragon

Just tried moving the brake lever and it worked!

Many thanks

Richard
  • Kirkeh
    Kirkeh Posts: 7
    lol, I was exactly the same ! :oops: Though I did figure it out after five minutes of wobbling up and down my street.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Richard36 wrote:
    Hi

What do I do?!

Richard

what a ! ! ! ! !
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly