cleaning chain

scazzer
scazzer Posts: 254
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Cleaned chain for first time using degreaser and chain cleaning machine but chain and cogs didnt look much better :? also scrubbed them with brush,in the end remember reading on site that some use white spirit so used that and they came up like new :D

so,want to know if i can cause any damage to anything by using white spirit???????

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so,want to know if i can cause any damage to anything by using white spirit???????
    to your chain not really. dont forget to re-lube the chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scazzer
    ok thx fella,but when you say not really can it cause any probs in the long term???

after i used white spirit,washed down with warm soapy water,dried off best i could,then GT85 it and wiped off any excess then lubed the chain when it had dried out..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if you get white spirt on your disc brakes then the pads need replacing.

best way to clean a chain is remove it from the bike for cleaning.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scazzer
    :lol: ok cheers for your help,much appreciated :wink:
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    I've been reading KMC chain's trade brochure and it has some interesting information about cleaning chains, which is contrary to what i learnt years ago (which was to clean them using degrease and then re-lube with quality chain lubricant)

if you don't know, KMC is the world's largest chain manufacturer making over 2 million chains a week, for all kinds of applications (including bikes and lots of bike chains for other "chain" brands) so i assume they know what they are talking about...

they said to never use a solvent or degrease because it strips the lubrication from inside the chain pins (roller bushings) and causes rapid wear of the chain, and damage to the drivetrain

their recommendation, even for muddy chains, is to wipe it clean with a rag, and once dried, brush any remaining mud off with the very stiff brush, wipe with rag again and then lube with quality chain lube

any thoughts on this? (bearing in mind KMC's vast experience of chains)
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sheldon brown says similar - the stuff that comes on the chains from new (that thick gunky stuff) is an excellent chain lube, when in the right place. On the outer plates though it attatches all manner of grit and crap, so good to wipe it off.
  • dErZ
    dErZ Posts: 152
    I always take my chain off and scrub it with a firm plastic brush with white spirit and then spray it with water and then dry it and then reapply lube :) shiny shiny
  • scazzer
    thats why i asked if it could do any damage for the long term...........
    I now know if you get white spirits on brake pads then you get damage,but first time i used white spirit i was careful cos i thought of that,but in future i wil cover all brake components when cleaning chain,but would like to know if any1 has had any long term problems by cleaning this way :wink:
  • dErZ
    dErZ Posts: 152
    I wouldnt worry about long term mate as chains are consumables ;) but keeping everything clean will prolong the life of all your running gear.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I've thought about this and the concluson I've come to is to wipe clean with a rag & re-lube after every ride, sometimes an old toothbrush to get into the links helps. If the chain is degreased it looks sparkly & clean, but doesn't it just get trail dust on it immediately you go back out for a ride?
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989