Do disk wheels work?

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
I know they work as in they go round, but do they offer any real advantage when riding a TT?
It seems to me that if the course is circuit as they nearly always are, any advantage with the wind in one direction is going to be canceled out going back the other way.
I was looking at prices and they are stupidly expensive, so maybe I should look at getting some super carbon wheels instead.
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Disk wheels generate less turbulence than spoked wheels, so effectively the air resistance is less.
    However; if you buy these wheels and knock a couple of minutes off yout time then it's not a real improvement in your performance. There's loads of ways of spending money to make the bike faster but then your personal best means less.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • boybiker
    Oww.. :cry:
    so you don't think that fitting a little two stroke to my bike is such a good plan then ?
  • dondare wrote:
    Disk wheels generate less turbulence than spoked wheels, so effectively the air resistance is less.
    However; if you buy these wheels and knock a couple of minutes off yout time then it's not a real improvement in your performance. There's loads of ways of spending money to make the bike faster but then your personal best means less.

A bit contraversial for cakestop. What if everyone else is legally using aero bikes and wheels? Is TT ing all about your own PB, or is it really about what placing you get on the day.... :wink:
  • dondare wrote:

Eh? You can't discount a time just becuse a disc was used. It's still fair game. When you get the results sheet at the end a race it doesn't say who used which rear wheel and you don't get an xtra pat on hte back for not using one
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    I use DW and if the conditions are correct they offer good advantages.
    I found (and it may only be me) that one change on it's own doesn't make a lot of differance but lots of little changes i.e tribars, aero helmet and finding good positioning on bike will add up to good gains. But, as I've said that is in my experiance

However, DWs be right expensive so maybe tribars and tuning position on bike may be a cheaper alternative at the moment. Oh, and you can't beat having a good pair o' legs on the night :D
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • idaviesmoore
    :lol: Oh, and they make a f@8!ing great sound as well. :lol:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    edited July 2008
    Obviously you want the best time, so buy the wheels and the aerodynamic seat post and eventually a better bike. Just realise the difference between an improvemet in your performance and an improvement in the bike.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    dondare wrote:

This is why I still use a penny farthing for my TTs...

Boybiker, if you are going to do the far more superior version of the sport (road racing :D ) I would look into getting some deep rim front and back wheels then you can use them for RRing and TTing.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    :lol: Oh, and they make a f@8!ing great sound as well. :lol:

Amen, that's reason enough for me........
  • boybiker
    Like Zipp 404 clinchers for example?
  • idaviesmoore
    Or HED Jet 50
  • or planet x carbon wheelset.

But yeah road racing is way more fun then TT
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • boybiker
    Hmmmmm. I suppose I could sell a kidney :lol::lol:
  • boybiker
    Better plan, I could sell my brother' s kidney :twisted:
  • idaviesmoore
    boybiker wrote:

You'll need to sell the whole of your street's kidneys because......wait for it........
    they're offaly expensive

Offal/Offaly.............

You see what I did there????

TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but a rear wheelcover is a good option - you dont get the cool disk sound, but in some cases, its more aero than a flat disk due to the lenticular shape.

A Zipp sub 9 (which i would give my right arm for) is essentially a 1080 rim with a wheelcover.

As for changing wind directions, a lenticular disk (like the sub 9, new JET disk) will generate negative drag in some headwinds (so will a flat disk, but less so)

There are much better gains to be had elsewhere:

Needed Watts for Speed = 45 km/h :
    Stevens San Remo bike with normal handlebar 465 Watts needed to go 45 km/h
    Same bike Hands down the drops: 406 watts needed
    Same bike Easton Aeroforce bar: 369 Watts
    Same bike Triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forwards): 360 Watts
    Same bike Triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forwards) and
    carbon Tri spoke wheels front and rear: 345 Watt

Cervelo P3 + Tri spoke front 328 Watts
    Cervelo P3 + Tri spoke front + disk rear wheel : 320
    Cervelo P3 + Tri spoke front + disk rear wheel +Giro helmet: 317
    Cervelo P3 + Tri spoke front + disk rear wheel +Giro helmet + speed suit: 307
    Cervelo P3 + Tri spoke front + disk rear wheel +Giro helmet + speed suit +
    saddle 3 cm further back: 293 Watts

Aerobars, helmet and skinsuit are the 3 big ones, and are cheap compared to the other savings you could make.

So unless you already have all of the above, id save your cash.

Be aware, that 465 to 293 watts is a massive difference - over a 40k TT i put out about 310 - david millar put out 400 in the 1st TT this year in the tour - even if i was on his bike, he would have killed me - but just to put it into perspective :)
  • boybiker
    boybiker wrote:

You'll need to sell the whole of your street's kidneys because......wait for it........
    they're offaly expensive

Yes...I do see, but please just don't do it again, cheers :wink:
  • idaviesmoore
    boybiker wrote:
    boybiker wrote:

they're offaly expensive

Yes...I do see, but please just don't do it again, cheers :wink:

Oh (sniff :cry: ) Okay