Tora 318 Solo Air Travel Adjustment

Matt 24k
Matt 24k Posts: 186
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
This is my first post so go easy on me!
I have a pair of Rockshox Tora 318 Solo Air 2006 model that have 100mm of travel. I have downloaded the manual as I want to increase the travel to 130mm. It seems fairly straight forward to remove the spacer but has any one actually done this and can they answer the following?

1) Is the spacer fitted to both legs?

2) Is there any way to do the job without loosing the oil?

3) Do you really have to use a specific brand of oil?

Cheers,
Matt

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    left leg only, you will need to replace the oil. make sure there are no swelling agents. and you use the correct weights.

IIRC RS use Torco oils.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Matt 24k
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the swift reply. Any suggestion on where to source the required 5 wt and 15 wt oil. I have checked CRC and can't find the correct grade.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your LBS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I used fork oil from a local motorbike shop. Probably cheaper than LBS. :wink:
  • Matt 24k
    Just to tidy this topic up here is the response I received from Rockshox.

The spacer to adjust the travel will be on the left leg (air spring leg) ONLY.

You will lose a small amount of oil during the dis-assembly and re-assembly process though. If you can remove the forks from the bike, and work on a bench or worktop, it is possible to do the change will almost no oil loss.

If you place the forks flat on the bench, you can remove the air spring assembly (inc top cap and air tube in one whole piece) from the top of the fork. The lower half of the air assembly can then be removed from the BOTTOM of this tube. The spacer will then slide out of the bottom and the lower part of the air assembly can be re-installed into the tube. This whole air assembly (inc spring, tube and top cap) can then be slid into the left hand fork leg without losing the oil from the lower leg and also, as you have not removed the air top cap or the complete air assembly, you will not have lost any oil from the top of the air piston.

This should enable you to do the travel change with no loss of oil but please remember to always release the air from the fork before working on it should you decide to do the job yourself.

The above came after I had fully stripped and rebuilt the forks but it may be if use to some one else.