Infinity

mikedobson
mikedobson Posts: 186
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
Is infinity plus 2 bigger than infinity plus 1?
Character Fully Formed - please send no more problems.

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Might be. Might not. Does it matter (sic)?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Nope because there is no such thing as infinity plus 1 or plus 2. It's impossible to add anything to infinity, that doesn't make much sense of course, but just remember that infinity isn't a number but a concept, which you shouldn't bother thinking about because it's stupid.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    You could argue this one until the end of time.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Nope no such thing.

You can do infinity x 2, which is basically approaching the point of infinity twice as fast.
    dondare wrote:
    You could argue this one until the end of time.

Dare i say we could argue this infinitely?
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    You can add numbers to infinity,its just that when you do the numbers don't behave as you would expect, the Mathematician Cantor developed a theory of how you deal with infinites and found that some infinities are bigger than others and there are things like countable infinites and uncountable infinities and it goes on... it drove him mad in the end.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...wow Bikerboy...our taxes weren't wasted, you learnt something!!! :D 8)
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    was it him that developed the aleph system?

My favourite explanation of infinity is einsteins hotel with an infinte number of rooms...
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Yep he developed the aleph system where you can have infinity raised to the power of infinity and on as far as you want to go.
    You can have a countable infinity like all the integer numbers which is infinity large, and then you can have an uncountable infinity like all the rational numbers, which is still infinite but much bigger.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    This forum never ceases to amaze me; from mucky shots of ladies in lycra to advanced mathematical theory in two clicks of a mouse...
  • ride_whenever
    well some of us have to raise the tone a bit, I'm all for wallowing in filth, but having a hard-on at work just isn't appropriate...
  • ride_whenever
    ah cr@p,

i lowered it again didn't i
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    boybiker wrote:
    You can have a countable infinity like all the integer numbers which is infinity large, and then you can have an uncountable infinity like all the rational numbers, which is still infinite but much bigger.
    Careful with the language you use there... An uncountable infinity isn't 'bigger' than a countable infinity. 2 is bigger than 1.99999999999999999999999 however many nines you stick on the end. It would take a lot longer to reach infinity if uncountable (you can't really get above 0), but the end result isn't any bigger, since a countable infinity comprises all possibilities of an uncountable infinity, but is simplified.
  • dondare
    boybiker wrote:
    You can add numbers to infinity,its just that when you do the numbers don't behave as you would expect, the Mathematician Cantor developed a theory of how you deal with infinites and found that some infinities are bigger than others and there are things like countable infinites and uncountable infinities and it goes on... it drove him mad in the end.

I suggest that you stop pondering imponderables before the same thing happens to you.
    It's like quantum mechanics, the more you understand it the further out of touch with reality you become. Physicists always end up potty, even if thet didn't start that way.
  • ride_whenever
    no one understands quantum mechanics, it is so beyond comprehension of the vast vast vast majority of people. Pondering these things is important though, because that is how progress is made.

And before anyone claims QM is easy, I have a good grasp of QM, i can apply it and I work with it fairly regularly, I can do QM, but I would never claim to understand it.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    dondare wrote:
    boybiker wrote:

I suggest that you stop pondering imponderables before the same thing happens to you.
    It's like quantum mechanics, the more you understand it the further out of touch with reality you become. Physicists always end up potty, even if thet didn't start that way.

did physics at uni and i can say that they all start off potty and uni just makes them worse and once they are post grads its time for the men in white coats to start hanging about.
    its all down to quantem physics, once time is no longer constant and the partical thats in the box has a % chance of not being in the box and that there are 13 dimentions its just that only 3.5 have exploded............. ( time is the 0.5 dimention as its only kinda exloded a bit as we can only go one way in it. )
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • no its surely the same logic as (1x0=0) = (100 x 0 = 0)
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Apparently if you try looking at an infinite number of girls in lycra shorts you go blind.
  • ride_whenever
    ricadus wrote:
    Apparently if you try looking at an infinite number of girls in lycra shorts you go blind.

impossible, the universe has finite mass-energy so even if everything in the universe was made of girls in lycra there still wouldn't be an infinite number of them, although you would be unable to see, because there would be no light, and you'd freeze, and suffocate.

Although I suppose you could make them out of the mass-energy of those pairs of particles that spontaneously come into existance befor emutually annihialting, although you'd have girls in lycra and and anti-girls in lycra, which would be men in baggies...
  • whyamihere
    Although I suppose you could make them out of the mass-energy of those pairs of particles that spontaneously come into existance befor emutually annihialting, although you'd have girls in lycra and and anti-girls in lycra, which would be men in baggies...
    Has anyone ever tried bringing a girl in lycra shorts and a man in baggies together to find out what happens? In the name of science, I'm willing to risk annihilation for this.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ever pondered the fraction 0/0?

0 on the top of a fraction means it's zero
    a number divided by itself is 1
    0 on the bottom of a fraction means it's infinite

My calculator has just melted!

Imaginary numbers anybody?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • dondare

did physics at uni and i can say that they all start off potty and uni just makes them worse and once they are post grads its time for the men in white coats to start hanging about.
    They're called lab technicians...
    its all down to quantem physics, once time is no longer constant and the partical thats in the box has a % chance of not being in the box and that there are 13 dimentions its just that only 3.5 have exploded............. ( time is the 0.5 dimention as its only kinda exloded a bit as we can only go one way in it. )

Don't get me started on Schrodinger's cat....
  • mikedobson
    mikedobson Posts: 186
    and what about them quarks? Pretty strange eh?
    Character Fully Formed - please send no more problems.
  • Jez mon
    I feel its time to lighten the tone with a joke....

A load of mathematical functions (sin, cos, tan, sec, cosec, sec, cot...etc) are all in a bar talking, however, e is on his/her own...

The barman asks to e, "why don't you integrate??"

e, replies...."it just makes no difference"

Yes ladies and gentleman, a joke relating to calculus....now thats sad.

Fortunately I don't have the brains for further maths, only the "watered down" current a-level, so don't really have any real idea of mathematical infinity, other than the stuff which I remember from a philosophy lesson 2 years ago.
  • tomashford
    tomashford Posts: 27
    Jez mon wrote:

A load of mathematical functions (sin, cos, tan, sec, cosec, sec, cot...etc) are all in a bar talking, however, e is on his/her own...

I'm now glad that I have done A level maths. Otherwise I would not have been able to get that joke! :D
  • Jez mon
    You just knew it would come in useful one day!!!
  • whyamihere
    Jez mon wrote:

That's fantastic. :D