Spoke come lose on a Mavic Crossland rear wheel

T1berious
T1berious Posts: 438
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I was hoping someone could offer up some advice. My rear wheel has popped a spoke from the hub. It's a Mavic Crossland and I don't know how to get it back on the hub.

This will probably sound really dumb, but I've never had to touch a wheel (bar replacing casettes, tyres etc) and I'm a bit lost where to start.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I would take it to the local LBS but I need it good to go for Sunday :(

Cheers T1b

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take it to your LBS and wait till they do it. take Chocolate HobNobs.

You will need to slacken of the nipple and then hook the spoke back in and then tension up the spoke. and then check the tension in the rest as it is likely that they are all low.

If the LBS can not do it. buy/beg/borrow a new/used wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm going to assume that the spoke BROKE OFF at the hub. If this is the case you will, at
    the very least need a new spoke. Also the wheel is probably out of true because of this.
    Once you get the new spoke you will need to remove the rim tape in that area, install new spoke, replace rim tape, tighten spoke to proper tension(with proper tool), then re true the wheel as best you can.
    All this could be a moot point if the spoke is not broken and has "popped" from the hub
    as you said. This could mean that there is a problem with the hubs spoke hole(which I doubt). I'm still thinking actual broken spoke. Is it indeed broken? :?: :?:

Dennis Noward
  • T1berious
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. On the crossland hub it takes a tapered spoke, this appears to have "popped" off the hub. I know that sounds mental but it was recently in a bike bag and that's when I think it took a mild battering and came off the hub.

I guess taking it to the LBS is my only option. Bugger. they want £15 to "look" at it :shock:
  • nicklouse
    dennisn
    this wheel uses a straight pull spoke that sits in a slot in the hub.

and they often "pop" out. even on the Mavic DeeMax's.

1068-2.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • T1berious
    dennisn

So how do I "pop" it back in?
  • nicklouse
    T1berious wrote:
    dennisn

dont worry about dennisn comment as he his thinking of standard hubs and spokes.
  • dennisn
    nicklouse wrote:
    T1berious wrote:
    dennisn

dont worry about dennisn comment as he his thinking of standard hubs and spokes.

Yes I was and I appoligze for thinking I knew what I was talking about. :oops: :oops:

nick- I'm not a mtb'er, so here's what may be a stupid question. Why are there slots
    in the hubs instead of holes? Or am I missing something again? :? :?

Dennis Noward
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Straight pull spokes, hence the slots.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dennisn
    Andy_B wrote:
    Straight pull spokes, hence the slots.

I understand straight pull spokes. I have a Mavic wheelset(road) with then, but they don't
    have slots, only holes. There is no way that my spokes will ever "pop" out unless they
    break or pull through the hole. So I'm still a little lost on why the slots :? :??

Dennis Noward
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So I'm still a little lost on why the slots
    you're not the only one. They've been doing this for years, and suddenly, on the '09 wheels, they've decided that maybe it's a good idea to put a little circlip on the hub, to stop them popping out.
    bloody stupid, in my humble opinion.