What bike would you get?

Breathless Commuter Man
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I am thinking of upgrading my Giant Cypress that I commute to work on.It has lasted about a year doing about 24km a day. I don't just pootle along i try to go as quick as a can to keep fit (this is my only real exercise).

I get bike to work vouchers for Halfords. I have been looking at the Boardman Hybrid Pro (about £750). What would you do if you were me? I want something strong enough to last for that money (I have broken various bits on my existing bike), but also lightweight enough to be quick.

I can't seem to find any reviews/comparisons etc.

Please let me know what you would do. Thanks.

PS I have a friendly LBS which I will take the bike to after I pick it up to get it set up properly. Sorry to any Halfords guys, but can't be sure I would be getting one of the good guys.
FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro

Comments

• Not having ridden one of the hybrids I can't say for certain, but the Boardman road bikes seem pretty decent for the money.

Some people are funny about the Ritchey WCS wheels, but some people are funny about everything. I've never heard anything actually bad about them, and I think the spoke pattern looks cool. If you buy it, it might be worth taking into an LBS to check it over after Halfords have put it together*.

It might also be worth looking at some other bikes as well. Marin, for example, make a nice range of sporty commuters (the Lucas Valley appears comparable to the Boardman and is less money (but I admit I haven't compared the spec item by item).

Basically, find a few bikes you like the look of and have some test rides. That's the only way to find out if the bike is right for you. If you have to trog about a bit to find them, remember it is worth it rather than spending the best part of a grand on a bike you then discover you don't actually like.

Good luck!

*(Disclaimer: I know there are many skilled and passionate cyclists who work for Halfords, but there are also more than a few monkeys with spoke wrenches and you have no guarantee who'll you'll get. Natural selection suggests that LBSs with crap bike mechanics will soon be out of business, but Halfords will keep on going on the proceeds of turtlewax and roof-rack sales if nothing else...)
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    have you considered getting a full blown road bike, it'll be quicker.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    And more fun.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Seriously though - I commute on my Focus Cayo Expert and it's fantastic. So light and breezy, makes stopping and starting much less painful, I can accelerate out of sticky spots and I don't get overtaken by people on Bromptons playing some dumb internet game :)
  • I did think about a road bike, but I am worried that they might be a bit too delicate for the poor road surfaces.Have I got this wrong?
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ever seen a roubaix?

(I'm a MTBr could a roadie please correct me if theses aren't the ones i mean)

anyway, lots of cobbles...
  • ever seen a roubaix?

(I'm a MTBr could a roadie please correct me if theses aren't the ones i mean)

anyway, lots of cobbles...

The Paris-Roubaix 260km one day classic. Famous for its rough terrain and cobbles (The horror! The horror!) it acquired the nickname L'enfer du Nord (The Hell of the North) although admittedly, this was because it ran through the wrecked landscape of the former battlefields of WWI. In recent years road improvements have sealed a lot of the cobbles, but there's still enough for it to be a proper beeyotch.

It is worth bearing in mind that the riders of the P-R have support crews with spares lining the route. They also tend to ride on wider wheels than normal and some even use bikes more closely akin to cyclo-crossers. But the P-R is an exceptionally and deliberately rough route, riding in a group you don't always have the opportunity to avoid horrible potholes, broken road surfaces, mud, etc. That said, a decentish road bike can and will take a lot of punishment - they are designed to be good all-round work horses over long distances. You have to look after them, but that is the same for any bike you might actually want to ride.

In any case, quite a lot of sport hybrids are basically road bikes with flat bars anyway, having very similar (exactly the same in some cases) frame geometries, lightweight frame materials and road wheels. The differences tend to come in the gearing and the presence of brazons for pannier racks and space for mudguards, which road bikes tend not to. With drop-handlebars you get the option of an even more aggressive riding position, but that isn't for everyone.

I am a huge fan of road bikes and commute on one every day, but I can't presume to tell you which bike is right for you, no-one here can. We can tell you if we like how they look and (sometimes) whether we think the components are any good for the money. The best advice we can give is to find a few bikes that you like the look of and try them out.

PS: Biondino, we don't play a dumb internet game. we play a dumb game on the road and then make inane postings about it on the internet when we get home. :)
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • johnno_uk
    johnno_uk Posts: 30
    Checkout the Trek 7.6Fx (£700). I went through this whole exercise in May and did a lot of researh. Not quite as fast as my road bike, but a lot more comfy especially if you have back problems.
    Quite fast, i did a 25 mile this morning at just over 15mph average (with a bit of wind / hills etc.) and some days average 16mph - just a tad lower than my bianchi road bike.
    Its also quite good over crap road surfaces - the wider tyres do get you quite a bit.

Also, Kona PhD (no mudgard eyelets) but its a bit expensive. Also check out Genesis Day02 or something similar. I also looked at the Specialized Sirrus ( a bit short reach for me but lovely ).

cheers
    johnno
  • hi

what did you get in the end? Im toying between these: -

boardman hybrid pro - rode great, but service (or lack of) from halfrods has put me off, ive heard rumours of some parts not being available as spares, and LBS take the effort to find the right size bike for you. size being important as aches can develop over time if it isnt right.

marin - lucas valley

specialized - sirus expert

trek 7.6 fx

I have looked at the specs but not knowing much about the differences between them its no use. any help guys?
  • Damn!

Where did VL go? He was a smart guy.

Not like you lot. No sirree. The things I have to put up with around here. :P :D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    For your budget you could get a CX bike like the Specialized Tricross Sport? I believe it has two sets of break levers, one set positioned as on a normal drop bar bike, and an extra pair as they would appear on a flat bar bike, so you can ride the bike as you would a hybrid.

It can also take mudguards and a pannier rack.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    hi

what did you get in the end? Im toying between these: -

boardman hybrid pro - rode great, but service (or lack of) from halfrods has put me off, ive heard rumours of some parts not being available as spares, and LBS take the effort to find the right size bike for you. size being important as aches can develop over time if it isnt right.

marin - lucas valley

specialized - sirus expert

trek 7.6 fx

I have looked at the specs but not knowing much about the differences between them its no use. any help guys?

What's your commute like and how long? And do you want a bike you can ride some distance on the weekends too?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Damn!

Where did VL go? He was a smart guy.

Not like you lot. No sirree. The things I have to put up with around here. :P :D

+1 (about the where did go bit obviously :P ). Wasn't he in Germany or somewhere?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 248
    ...but I can't presume to tell you which bike is right for you, no-one here can. We can tell you if we like how they look and (sometimes) whether we think the components are any good for the money. The best advice we can give is to find a few bikes that you like the look of and try them out.

Now that's some advice to listen to. Simple and eloquent. Well said that man! :mrgreen:

Edit: just after posting, I realise that I am praising a very OLD post. Proof that things aren't what they used to be... :oops: