Grease

beski
beski Posts: 542
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been getting a clicking sound on every rotation of my cranks. I took one of the bolts out & was going to re-grease them, and I noticed that there is still a fair amount of grease still there, that looks like what I would call 'normal' grease. The grease I have got is some Halfords Teflon Gease (a red colour). Being unsure if this would be OK to use I put the crank bolt back & gave them both a really good tighten (probably over tightened!). Is the teflon grease OK for greasing the cranks? and if there is some grease stiil there should tighteniing the crank bolts be enough to eliminate the clicking?

thanks in advance
Giant Defy 4 2014
GT Avalanche Expert 2006
Specialized Hardrock 1989

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Cheers Nick...
    On the Park Tools Website it says to remove the crank bolts & regease the threads & under the bolt head. Is it worth removing the crank fully & greasing the splines etc?
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greasing splines..... what does the crank maker say. some say yes some say no. Does as the maker says.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown