Neck exercises

RichardFcp
RichardFcp Posts: 155
Can anyone suggest or recommend any exercises for strengthening the neck? I'm trying to improve my aero position but if I go down too low for any length of time I really start to feel it in my neck as I hold my head up. Less of a problem if I am up straighter with the bars rolled up, but that then makes me less aero.

Cheers

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    No exercises, but my osteopath said that I had to do two things to avoid this. Firstly, ensure that I get more rotation in my pelvis, so that my lower back is lower and flatter. Secondly, when looking up, to rotate my shoulders upwards, rather than using my neck.

I'm thinking of taking up yoga ... :shock:
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    RichardFcp wrote:
    Can anyone suggest or recommend any exercises for strengthening the neck? I'm trying to improve my aero position but if I go down too low for any length of time I really start to feel it in my neck as I hold my head up. Less of a problem if I am up straighter with the bars rolled up, but that then makes me less aero.

Cheers

Try these: -

1)Lie on floor on stomach arms by your side. Keeping your chin in lift your chest off the floor and then raise arms up behind you as far as possible, keeping chin in and arms together, and hold position for a count of 10 and then repeat.

2) Same position as before (keeping chin in) adopt position with hands as though to do pressups. Lift chest off the floor and reach arms forward as though doing the breast stroke and then return.

Neither exercsie is easy but they will strengthen your neck and shoulder muscles for TT's.
  • BlackHelmet
    BlackHelmet Posts: 113
    Hold a dumbell in each hand with your arms at your side. As you breath out lift your shoulders up (keeping your arms atraight and next to your body). Repeat 3 * 15 times. That was the exercise recommended to me.