Bottom bracket fitting - problem?

e1ys1um
e1ys1um Posts: 29
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Just finished attempting to fit my fsa mega exo bottom bracket to my on-one 456 frame and i'm experiencing a lot of resistence when trying to screw in the right/drive side in to the point that i can do no more than maybe 1-1 1/2 turns before it wont move i havent tried using the fitting tool on it yet as i dont want to screw the frame. i tried the non drive side out of interest and this goes all the way in by hand with no probs. i have checked the threads on the frame as best as possible and they look fine as do the threads on the bb however the finish on the drive side bb external bearing is showing signs of wear after only trying twice.
now i'm certainately not an expert but this doesnt feel right so i've stopped.
is something wrong

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take the frame to your LBS to get the threads chased. and the bb faced/

the cups should go in with fingers and little resistance.

sounds like you have problems.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • e1ys1um
    cheers wasnt happy as soon as the resistance started but thought maybe i had slightly cross threaded it but when i retried make sure it was true it was still there.

any idea how much to get the threads done and faced typically

cheers
  • nicklouse
    normally free if you buy the bb or frame or both from them.

sorry no idea on costs ring around.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • e1ys1um
    ok cheers will go and do some running round tomorrow got parts mail order as the savings were more than the shops would match on the chainset, so some fee will be payable

cheers
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    nicklouse wrote:
    the cups should go in with fingers and little resistance.

Not disagreeing with the sentiment to get it checked, better safe than sorry, but I've never been able to put HTII style BB cups in by hand. They're invariably covered in dry loctite and need winding in with the relevant tool.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    i agree with it needing a bit more force than the old cups but they do still go in by hand.

But i do face and chase all my frames first.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    As for cost, last time, my lbs pressed headset, reamed and faced and checked frame alignment for a tenner and some hob-nobs.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    nicklouse wrote:
    But i do face and chase all my frames first.

Have you ever caught one?

Taxi!
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    Splasher
    nope that are too fast and i am too old :wink:
  • e1ys1um
    ok guys
    been a while with work and that but have just got the frame back from the lbs after having threads chased and the bb cups went in very well this time. had the caliper tabs and headset faced whilst it was there so no stopping me now :D

cheers for your earlier advice