Lockout or not??

Ghengis
Ghengis Posts: 90
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Just fitted some new Reba SL's which have poplock (with compression damping). Set the sag at 20mm as suggested, positive pressure 140psi, negative 110psi (after first couple of rides where fork was a tad too bouncy) Rebound - 3 full turns from fast. Still some tweeking to do to get optimum setting but only riding will sort that as I suppose they will bed in a little.
The only thing I'm stuck on is - can these forks be fully locked out? :? By this I mean rigid. The old Manitou's I have just binned would lock out completely - which was great for my all tarmac road commute. When I press the poplock lever I only get a slightly reduced movement with the addition of a squelching noise. Any clues to further set up would be appreciated.
Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
2009 Giant Defy 2.5

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The lockout on the Reba fork (like many others) still allows some movement so as not to damage the internals of the fork.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    So you have the remote lever on the bars? There is another topic somewhere that says the movement is normal if its only 10mm or so. Mine lock out reasonably rigidly now I've tightened the cable just a little. Before they had a bit more give. I've not tightened it too much - still plenty of travel when they're unlocked.
  • Ghengis
    Pittpony - Yes I have the remote lever. The travel is almost as much as when not locked out. Do you get a squelchy noise when you have the lock applied?

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • pittpony
    No squelchy noise when locked out as there is very little movement. Try tightening the cable - there is an allen key turnscrew on the disc where the cable attaches, just loosen, pull through a little more cable and retighten. Just make sure you don't overdo it and have your forks locked out the whole time. If that doesn't work i'm afraid i'm stumped.
  • Ghengis
    Cheers for the advice. More tweeking tonight then before I give them another go.

I guess the more there is to fiddle with the longer it will take to get it right :?

They do seem to great forks though and way lighter than the Manitou's.

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    following of from above try turning the dial by hand after applying the lock. is it actually fully rotated?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Might be very wrong here but the SL's have an internal floodgate adjustment don't they. Have you set this up to max as well.? Flodgate on my REBA Teams is on top of the crown so easy to get out, I need it turned full clockwise to get forks to approach being fully locked out.

(That said rode home from work last night, tarmac all the way, roads are so bad I unlocked the forks after the first mile :shock: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    stumpyjon wrote:
    (That said rode home from work last night, tarmac all the way, roads are so bad I unlocked the forks after the first mile :shock: ).

Was that when you hit the cobbles? We have tarmac in Cliviger now :D !!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Ghengis
    Stumpyjon - SL's do have floodgate and yes it is fully turned clockwise.

Pittpony & Nicklouse well done boys. Just a couple of mm of cable pulled through to take up slack and we have full lockout with just a little movement which is what I expected. LBS fitted forks when they put my new headset in so trusted this was set right. Off to play now and see if my latest pressure tweeks are OK.

Thanks for the help. What did I do before this forum :lol:

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • pittpony
    Glad you got it sorted - sounded very much like the same problem i had with mine after I'd 'tuned' them the first time :roll: :lol:
  • everogere
    everogere Posts: 68
    Maybe a littlle off subject here but I have just bought a Reba fork with the remote lockout control. My question is: Is it possible to not use the remote control in favour of being able to control the lockout from the top of the fork? Maybe a minor mod ???
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure i understand your question!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Not really, because if you have the remote option then the cap is sprung, wheras in the non-remote version it is just friction. It'll cost i think about 75 for a new rebound assembly to swap them over.
  • everogere
    Thanks, think Ill stick with what I got !!
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    It will not cost you £75,just order a new manual lockout lever from Tf tuned under £20,take a socket and take out your motion control damper,(instructions on the sram website) snip the wire,you can see it through all the holes in the damper and take it out.I did it on an old tora to convert to manual (top of fork control).
  • BOYDIE
    I actually removed my lockout cartridge all together on my current fork (Recon sl 100mm) and just popped on a blank cap,never used it and saved almost 100g on my fork. :D
  • supersonic
    Is that the turnkey lockout? It has a set amount of compression damping too!
  • BOYDIE
    Aye the turnkey lockout! Should I be worried?

I asked the guys over at the rockshox service center and they said it would be ok?
  • supersonic
    Yeah, it wouldn't harm owt, fork might dive a bit quicker through its travel though.
  • BOYDIE
    I didnt know that the turnkey controlled any sort of compression,I know that it uses compression springs to blow off but didnt know it had any affect in the open position.
  • everogere
    I dont think it does have any effect in the open position. The manual states that all adustments should be made with the lock fully on, so stands to reason that when open there is no effect! But I may be wrong.