October destination

Reeges
Reeges Posts: 12
I've been lucky enough to spend a few Springs in Mallorca so was planning a week long trip out there in October. But then I got to thinking about other destinations. Alps / Pyrenees / Dolomites? Will there be snow / poor weather by October? I've never been to mainland European mountains so they really appeal.

Mallorca
Pros: I know a lot of good routes, where to stay and its cheap.
Cons: Not much sense of adventure.

Alps etc..
Pros: Would love to tackle some of the famous climbs / Something new
Cons: No idea where to find routes. No idea about the weather.

Any recommendations / experiences / tips would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    We have a cyclist specific B&B in Las Alpujarras in Southern Spain. A stunning range of mountains very close to the Sierra Nevada. The roads are fabulous (a lot of them newly tarmaced!). We do training weeks as well as just B&B for cyclists wanting to explore by themselves. We've got a big range of rides (some of the profiles are on the website) and usually in October it's still nice and warm.

Gary
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Your best bet are the either the Eastern Pyrenees, from Andorra over towards Perpignan. Dryer and sunnier. Less famous cols but some of the best roads; or the Alpes Maritimes, like where the Tour de France went yesterday, near Isola 2000, Digne les Bains etc. It will be colder at altitude but even early October is normally pleasant.
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    Early October can be fantastic here in the Central Pyrenees and with Peyresourde, Portillon, Bales, Mente, Ares, Aspin, Tourmalet (the list goes on) all available you would certainly be spoilt for choice from a riding perspective.

The weather in the mountains (even in the summer) can change at the drop of a hat but generally you are unlikely to have problems with snow, the temperatures will be nice enough in the sun but cold on the descents if even part cloudy.

Many of our guests prefer September/October to avoid the intense heat that we get in the summer.
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees