Bike computers and airport x-rays

Northridge
Northridge Posts: 26
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay, don´t laugh, but why on earth would three cycle computers (two wireless and one wired) not work at all after flying as cargo with a whole bunch of other stuff?
(And yes, I checked the batteries, and yes, they did work before.)

Are the x-rays in the cargo checks strong enough to nuke them?

Anyone use the Sigma 1606L wireless?
As soon as I connect it to the mount the speed "0,0" flashes, until I remove it or it turns itself off.

Comments

• As far as i know Xrays don't have an effect like that on electronics (I am a radiographer so work with xrays). For example, how many people put laptops, cameras, iPODS etc through airport X-ray control?
    Help me I am a n00b!
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    I wouldnt have thought so. I have put got knows what electorics through them before, including a scuba diving computer, which all came through fine. Do the computers have anything pressure sensative in them? When I go diving I have to take my dive computer in the cabin as the low pressures in the hold can send it crazy!
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Northridge
    Northridge Posts: 26
    I am sure you´re both right, but it is odd that all three, even the wired Sigma, aren´t working.

Thanks.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Northridge wrote:
    I am sure you´re both right, but it is odd that all three, even the wired Sigma, aren´t working.

Thanks.
    Indeed! There must be some reason they died, just doubt it was the xrays. Very odd...
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team