Gear help

JamesN
JamesN Posts: 41
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a RockHopper comp, which apart from a few niggly things is a great bike.

One of these niggles is at the rear gears. Its hard to describe, so bear with me.
The plastic disc which sits between the gear cogs and the wheel/spokes has come loose- and now rattles whever the wheel turns.

Whats the best way to deal with it? Can it be removed without affecting anything? Do I need to get a new one fitted? Or is there anywhere to prevent it rattling?

Thanks

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Hi James, you'll need a cassette removal tool in order to get at the plastic disc, if you don't have one you nearest bike shop would probably do it for nowt.

Failing that, you can sometimes cut it away.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • JamesN
    JamesN Posts: 41
    Thanks.

The bike is going in on Friday, as the rear rotor is slightly bent, and is being replaced, so I could mention it to them then.

Is it important to get it replaced and to put a new one on, or is it OK without one? I guess if its not needed they could just cut it off, which saves them removing the cassette.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to help keep the crud off your rear hub, and p!ss you off when it comes loose and rattles around.

Get rid, just think of all that excess weight you'll save!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    its there to save your spokes should the mech overshift or get knocked into the wheel.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    provided the rear mech is set up correctly you dont need that plastic guard. (i think they are ugly as sin as well).
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • I was going to ask a similar question, just recently, all of a sudden, my chain is grinding on that plastic disk when it's on the largest cog, now I have seen this topic, I will snap it off, cheers.
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg