London to Southend this Sunday....

13»

Comments

• julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    I thought it was an excellent day. My comp also recorded 54 and a half miles and my time was 3 hours 35 minutes which I am very happy with. I really enjoyed the route apart from the headwind at hanningfield. There were 12 of us doing it with times ranging from 2 hours 50minutes to 5 hours 45 minutes so quite a spread. Most people were between 3 and a half and 4 and half hours on average.

I will definitely be doing it again next year. It was so well organised and enjoyabale from getting the train down to london just after 6am to cycling in at the end. Unfortunately I did not get to experience the hamburgers made famous by babyshambles as the queue was just too long but I did stay at the end for a couple of hours to lap up the atmosphere.

Well done to all I say.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I thought the end to be quite shambolic.

To small an area for that amount of people and some more food tents wouldn't go amiss.

Better than Brighton at least no hoards of people walking up every slight incline blocking the roads!

Lovely route.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    overmars wrote:
    RC21 wrote:
    I managed 3:18 and my Garmin 205 recorded 55 miles in total

I'm happy with that but my neck is killing me and feels like it's going to seize up - I also had a cracking head ache about 2-3 hours ago but that's gone now.

Were you drinking enough during the ride?

I think so; I wasn't thirsty and drank; 2 x 1 litre bottles of water, a bottle of lucozade and had a banana to eat during the trip.

I thought my legs would be fried but I feel fine today except my neck is still tight and tender - I keep stretching every hour to help loosen things up. Hopefully a soak in the bath tonight and a good sleep will sort it out.

Whose doing the London to Cambridge this Sunday?

Thanks.
    RC
  • bluedevil
    bluedevil Posts: 3
    hi all,
    this is my first post here, also my first ride on my new road bike(previouslt MTB)
    i have done london to brighton this year, thurrock cycle marathon and brentwood MTB 45 miler...
    have to be honest I was told this was going to be a boring ride ....will not listen to him again i really enjoyed it - not hanningfield though-good atmosphere great weather and fantastic burger at the end...
    I need a reality check though i did this in 3hrs 41 mins, and need to know how i should rate this effort, i really enjoy this and want to take it a little more serious etc..
    only just joined this site is this a good place to find events?

One other thing did anybody else get caught out going the wrong way .. i left with the 7.30 group, not to sure where abouts it was but following the guy in front and paying no attention to the road markers is a big learning curve :) especially as we all climbed a hard hill- that we never needed to- only to be met by a group of fast riders coming the other way shouting we`re going the wrong way.... after a 10 min stop finally deciding which way to go i luckily follwed the bigger group back down the hill and back on track... Apart from that was a great day...
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    I think that's a good time particularly for the first big ride and given the fact you got lost. I did it with 11 other cyclists most of whom have been road biking for a few years (although only 2 or 3 are serious roadies) and of us 4 were quicker than you and you were quicker than the other 8 - a very crude measure but should give you an idea. I think your time is average for a road bike and good given that it was your first big ride.

Bike-events.com is good for the charity rides and http://www.everydaycycling.com/ is good for finding more serious type ones. I see you've done a couple of Essex events - if you are based in Essex I hear essexroadscyclingclub.com is a very good club to join.

Good luck and enjoy it.
  • bluedevil
    thanks for the feedback.. i have a feeling the camel back i wore may have hindered ,also trainers :shock: .... i`ve been told wearing cleat shoes? is a better option but i have this awful fear of falling off like a fool at the traffic lights . :lol:
    once again cheers for feback ,feel quite upbeat now.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    bluedevil wrote:
    thanks for the feedback.. i have a feeling the camel back i wore may have hindered ,also trainers :shock: .... i`ve been told wearing cleat shoes? is a better option but i have this awful fear of falling off like a fool at the traffic lights . :lol:
    Wrong thread?
  • bluedevil
    RC21 wrote:
    bluedevil wrote:
    Wrong thread?

what is the wrong thread?