Gear shift problem SCOTT Aspect 55

iknowgungfu
iknowgungfu Posts: 35
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am very much new to all this and have a query regarding my gear changes.

I have Shimano ST-EF50-8R EZ-fire plus shifters and sometimes when I go down a gear I get a clicking sound from somewhere around the cogs. It stops if I shift back up a gear, then normally is ok when I shift down again.

It sounds to me as if the gear isn't changing fully or that the chain has quite managed to hook on to the next chain ring. Anyone know why this happens? I have a free service due in a few weeks so will ask them, but would like to have some background knowledge too :)
Help me I am a n00b!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need to either clean the shifter cable or replace it.

as it does not seem to be moving fully with the mech tension.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hmmm...i doubt it needs cleaning as it is really new. Maybe the cable needs replacing then as you say. Thanks for the swift response, I will mention this to the guys at the shop when I am going for a service.
    Help me I am a n00b!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New bike. then the gears have either not been set up correctly or you have bent the mech hanger.

But as you say mention the gear issues when the bike goes in for its service and they will sort it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    or the outers have bedded in, so a little more tension is required.