Magura Louise

giantjason
giantjason Posts: 89
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i have purchased some Magura Louise disc brakes.

at present i have some Hayes HFX-9 with goodridge hoses. Consulting the Goodridge website it appears that my exisitng hoses fit the Magura brakes and therefore i hope to swap them over. As i got these from a friend i will not receive the 5 year warranty from Magura so i am not worried about that.

Magura states mineral oil which i will use but what is the best way to get the DOT fluid out of the hoses when i take them off the Hayes setup.

If i do a complete bleed of the system will this clear the DOT fluid?

What would happen if i am unable to get all the DOT fluid out....would this damage the Magura system?

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy new hoses. as washing the hoses out with the ammount of mineral oil will cost about the same. and you will still be able to sell the hayes brakes as a full set.

DOT fluid will cause the seals on the maguras to seal and disintegrate.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • giantjason
    giantjason Posts: 89
    to buy new hoses is going to cost me around £60.

Surely if i bleed the system it will not cost this much?

how much mineral oil will it take to wash out the system?

Also will i notice that much difference in performance from the standard hoses? On the hayes i noticed it a bit.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would say just use the maguras as they are and then see what you want to do.

Personally i have never bothered with any steel braided hoses.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown