Dart 2 and Juicy 3 Query

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Not posted on here much, but gettin "into it" and have a couple fo queries.

Bought a Trek 6000 last september, has Dart 2 forks and Juicy 3 Hydro disks.

The disks have great stopping power, enough for me anyway, but the rear brake lever leaks fluid! I've read that this can be common, but is there a specific cure for this? It leaks from the "seal" at the top of the fluid reservoir (I'm thats where the fluid lives!)

The Dart2 fork where faulty whe I bought the Bike (lock out didn't work), but LBS fixed this. Now I've discovered that I can't move the pre-load knob? Is this common and how can i fix?

Also what would be a good upgrade for this fork, I'm guessing that you will all say Tora! But which one!!
cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it the "leak" a lot or is it just fluid trapped above the rubber diaphragm seeping out?

re the fork take it back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I've noticed a similar problem with my Avid Juicy 3 rear brake lever. It happened only after I had forced the pistons back into the caliper to fit a new set of pads. I noticed some fluid on the reservoir body and gear shifter body. I'm just hoping the seal hasn't 'blown' by forcing the fluid back up through the system. What's confusing me is that I had to push the pistons back in otherwise the pads wouldn't have fitted!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • rowlers
    strangely, it mainly leaks after its stood overnight/few days then I ride it. After a few applications of the rear brake fluid stops coming out.

I'll take the fork back again I suppose, it just mean I'm without a bike for a least week while they fix it/send it away etc...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The preload knobs can be very stiff - easy to remove and lube it though.
  • rowlers
    will have a look, I'm more used with tinkering my car, bikes can't be any harder!!!

cheers for the replies so far!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think the top cap is a 24mm socket (might be 22 on the dart though).