Cycling Arrogance

Comments

• Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Dscotland wrote:
    surely this is a beginners section of the forum and therefore new people to the forum will not usually be aware of the ignrance or rudeness of other cyclist and gereral other road users yet

Well, there is that thar button with search written next to it...
  • Dscotland
    Dscotland Posts: 34
    maybe you should tell them that rather that say ,

yawn yawn yawn when someone makes a point
    dlamb
  • Why assume that non-acknowledgement of you by another road user is arrogance? It is not even ignorance. There is no social norm which gives you a right to expect acknowledgement from strangers.

It is, in my view, a nice positive thing when people do acknowledge each other with a smile when they perceive some sort of common interest be it bikes, old sports cars or a love of walking in the hills. I would recommend it to anyone. Even if it is an objectively pointless thing it costs nothing and makes most people feel a little better about the world.

However, some people are just not clubbable and can't see the point of grinning inanely at a complete stranger just because they have X in common. Your 'arrogant' roadie probably loves his mum and could well do lots of good work for charity that you know nothing about.

On the other hand telling people not to ask questions on a forum because they have been asked before IS arrogant...
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    daz51 wrote:
    on a little back lane just outside Aberystwyth

There is your answer, they are not used to communicating in places like that..
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Personally I think that users of the beginners forum should be able to raise topics which have been covered before.

If people don't want to see newbies asking newbie questions or making newbie points then they should feel free to leave the newbie forum which they've obviously outgrown :wink: !
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    daz51 wrote:
    I was riding down a nice quiet contry lane in west wales when approaching i see a cyclist. He was all kitted out with the kit etc. When he was due to come past i lifted my hand to wave and said hello and guess what .....................not a word !!!!! or wave !!!!!! ARROGANT B**TERD.

cyclists should all stick together. You will never know when that cyclist riding past has the tool that you need on them. Motorcycling is different and if your parked on the side of the road motorbikes will pull over to see if your ok.

well i hope this cyclist from earlier breaks down and people ride past and laugh. Thats all they deserve.

not all you guys are like this are you?

Were you riding a triple? :lol:
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Just because someone doesn't nod back does not make them arrogant. I will always stop if someone is walking besides their bike, I've given away more tubes than I've changed on my own bikes, I offer a draft to people struggling with a headwind... but there are times when I don't do that.

If I'm doing intervals, I may see you, but I sure as hell won't wave back. Same if I'm on a long, hard resistance ride. Basically, times when the leisure part is taking a back seat and hard work is taking over. If raising a hand and saying a word seems like nothing in any situation, I've got a few workouts you should try out.

If you classify someone doesn't wave back at you as a t*sser, or find some kind of revenge in passing racers on a commuting bike, exactly who is being arrogant here? Someone who passes you at full bore while you're walking in carbon soles next to your bike is a w@nker. Totally. No question. But to put him in that category because he didn't wave back? If that is the worst social offense you endure in a normal day, you're living the life!
  • stevejmo7
    stevejmo7 Posts: 69
    Just assume that they are too kna..ered to be able to raise their hand or open their mouth. I almost always just raise my hand in acknowledgement but only get a responce about half the time. On the few occasions that I go on my club run, mostly they don't acknowledge other riders. The only time really that I don't is when down on the tribars doing intervals or in a time trail mainly cause at speed its a bit risky and it's pretty obvious what I'm doing (I hope).
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    I was out in the lanes of north Cheshire a few weeks ago when a chain gang rolled impressively fast past me going the other way, every one of them was putting some effort in and every one of them (about 10 in total) managed to put a wave out, it must have looked a little funny as I tried to return a wave to every one of them, it looked like I was waving furiously - 10 little waves over all of a second as they shot past, think i hurt my wrist :lol:

It's only a small minority that I've encountered who haven't made any sign of recognition and to be honest it doesn't bother me one little bit...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Why do so many people get stressed out when they do not get a wave in return?
    Do you wave to every car on the road when driving and expect a wave in return?
    When riding, training, recovery or whatever, "if" I see some one I always acknowledge them, whether they are in lycra, parents with kids, mtb or whatever.
    Not all respond, but never had a family not respond, but probably equal number of roadies and non roadies do not respond. Maybe I have missed some one with head down into head wind, but not intentionally but if I do not get response I do not get stressed out, just ride on.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It takes two to tango, as they say: one to give offence and the other to take it.

I was out yesterday and there was another rider up ahead of me that I had been gradually catching because I was late for an appointment and havng to ride pretty hard to make up time. He went through a junction but as I approached the light began to change, so I had to really sprint to get through before red – just made it.

Anyway he said “’morning”, and I attempted a reply but was so breathless by that point it was little more than a hoarse croak, which was mis-interpreted as a non-reply and I got a bemused “suit yourself” as he turned off.
    :)
  • Parsnip49
    jam1e wrote:
    Personally I think that users of the beginners forum should be able to raise topics which have been covered before.

If people don't want to see newbies asking newbie questions or making newbie points then they should feel free to leave the newbie forum which they've obviously outgrown :wink: !

Not at all, ill quite hapilly give advice to newbies - but this is hardly advice. If anything its a soapbox rant - a mediocre one at that.
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    A couple of weeks ago I was out doing a tempo ride and had eased up for 5 minutes through Newdigate before picking it up again to climb ithe drag up to Rusper at 10 mile TT pace. A group of riders came up to me just before I was about to wind it up. As the guy in front came alongside he said he didn't mind me tagging along but would I please go to the back of the bunch. :D

I told him I would do what I bloody well liked and so could he. I never saw them again.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'm wondering if this is a city/South of England problem, because 90% of cyclists seem to give a nod or say hello round this neck of the woods. As has been said before, if you or they are riding hard, then it isn't always appropriate.
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    Well after all the comments and experiences from other users i still cant see why it is so hard for some riders to say "hello" or raise a hand. It does not matter what speed your doing.

And for all the people who disagree with that then that is your problem. But if i ever see you broken down i will ride past a laugh my socks off !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Nickwill wrote:
    I'm wondering if this is a city/South of England problem, because 90% of cyclists seem to give a nod or say hello round this neck of the woods. As has been said before, if you or they are riding hard, then it isn't always appropriate.

I wouldn't say it is an area problem, I live in the South, and 95% of the time other cyclists acknowledge each other. Obviously if I see a guy out doing a TT, I know there is not going to be a response, but then again I don't expect an acknowledgement back anyhow, like others have said, I don't wave to every car driver and expect a wave back.

Generally never have a problem with runners, walkers, or horse riders either, always tend to say hello.

If I saw a cyclist broken down I would always stop and ask if they need help, even if they had previously ignored me. I would be grateful if someone ask edif I was OK, if I had a problem, so it is nice to offer your help to someone else. To not stop and laugh is pure arrogance IMO
  • Parsnip49
    daz51 wrote:
    Well after all the comments and experiences from other users i still cant see why it is so hard for some riders to say "hello" or raise a hand. It does not matter what speed your doing.

And for all the people who disagree with that then that is your problem. But if i ever see you broken down i will ride past a laugh my socks off !!!!!!!!!!!!

/fail

If im doing 30mph in the aero bars with my HR at 170+ the last thing im thinking is "did that guy just wave?" im more likley to be concentrating on the tiny bit of road i can see over my hands Maybe you shouldnt get so hung up on it?

Ill stop if you have a mechanical wether you wave or not, and certainly wont laugh. You may think im impolite by not waving, but from the sounds of it, id much rather meet me on the roads than you.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Had my first real experience of this today.

Wannabe courier type (rapha top, 3/4 lengths, cap, courier bag etc).

Tried to have a chat about the dangerous driver of the lorry in front seems he thought I was an alien with 2 heads.

Oh well. :roll:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    daz51 wrote:

How do you know if they disagree or agree when you are deciding whether or not to stop? I suspect that you'd just cycle past anyway assuming that they wouldn't wave to you - they are all out to get 'you' you know!

I usually give an understated wave and get response about half the time. Don't let it bother you, it's hardly very important.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • daz51
    If the cyclist on the side of the road who is broken down did not have 2 seconds to acknowledge why should i waste my 5 or 10 mins helping them?
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    even if i,m going for it, on the drops HR at 95% sweating like a pig i,ll still lift a hand or nod it only takes 2 seconds of your time, and i have noticed that its more likely to be local club riders proudly wearing all their kit who blank you i suppose they think just cos i wear ordinary kit i,m not worth acknowledging, and local clubs wonder why they are struggling to get new members?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    daz51 wrote:
    If the cyclist on the side of the road who is broken down did not have 2 seconds to acknowledge why should i waste my 5 or 10 mins helping them?

because you're a cyclist and we should stick together... no?

your better attitude will help change theirs?

or be a selfish miserable old cycling hermit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • daz51
    Then they should stick together and spend 2 seconds anknowledging another rider.

My dad says back in the 1960's every rider ankowlwdge another rider. And everyone should do that now !!!!!!!!!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have never had any issues with different club riders. In the end it has nothing to do if you are a cyclist or not, or in a club or not. Some people are just like that, just because the share a similar interest in their eyes doesn't mean they have to acknowledge every other cyclist, rightly or wrongly, that is society now unfortunately.

There was alot of things you could do in the 60's you wouldn't dream of doing now, times change. Most will give a wave or a nod back, some won't, nothing you can do to change it.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    it's time and place. If I stop some where then can be nice to chat, one of the things I like about club runs. But in the same way I don't wave at cars i'm not a great one for waving chatting yes
  • daz51 wrote:

+1 on "because you're a cyclist and we should stick together... no? "

. . . in the future someone will see you cycle past that broken down "arrogant" cyclist by the side of the road and think "what an arrogant cyclist, not helping a fellow cyclist in trouble, I'm not going to wave at him anymore" the start of a never-ending cycle.

Of course you could stop and explain to this observer that you didn't help a fellow cyclist in need because you can recall a time they didn't acknowledge you, I'm sure you will sound reasonable!

Alternatively you could get over it and be a nice reasonable person.

what's that saying again?
    "Better to give than to receive"
    or does that only apply in Prison?
    If you don't have it, you don't need it.

My 2008 LEJOG
  • Parsnip49
    daz51 wrote:
    Then they should stick together and spend 2 seconds anknowledging another rider.

Yup, laughing at them for having a mechanical - your truely are a rolemodel all cyclists should try to be like.

That, or your just a bit of a richard - if i recognised you, i wouldnt wave.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    On the whole a very average rant... the choice of subject matter was good - suitably petty, and invoked a nicely excessive reaction, there was some unnecessary capitalisation, a short spell of excessive punctuation (although I believe more could have been made of this) and some decent spelling mistakes, but I didn't really feel the anger... needed far more vitriol than this rant delivered I'm afraid...

3/10
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    daz51 wrote:

You are kidding me right...evidently not. Seriously how miserable can you get!

If I'm riding really hard I will just nod at most, I'm not being rude, just concentrating on other things.

However, what I would say is that I think a lot of people don't wave at me first caus I'm wearing bright yellow oakleys a club top and some red shorts...c'mon guys share the love, I'm not a bad guy, I just don't want to be seen associating with cyclists riding a bike of value below £2,000 :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    daz51 wrote:
    My dad says back in the 1960's every rider ankowlwdge another rider. And everyone should do that now !!!!!!!!!
    Yes, and when I was young every summer lasted 6 months and it never rained...

Rose-tinted nostalgia. Move on...