summer bike still cant make up my mind

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
i have a trek pilot 1.0 and im thinking of getting a trek 1.5 for summer only as i use the pilot for going to work on, but keep having second thoughts, if i get the trek 1.5 i would be putting a new hollowtech chainset on it, new computer, different tyres etc, about£800 or i keep thinking of just getting some fulcrum evolution 5 racing wheels for the pilot, but guess having 2 bikes makes them both last longer also my pilot has duel brakes on the handelbars, and not many road bikes do, also wifes is not happy about £800 on a new bike when i already have one under 2 yrs old

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    andy610 wrote:
    also wifes is not happy about £800 on a new bike when i already have one under 2 yrs old

Don't worry I'm on my 4th in 12months. I'm not sure you'd appreciate getting a bike only slightly better than the one you have - perhaps upgrading a few select parts on your pilot might be the route to take.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    is the pilot l classed as a road bike
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    yeah - course it is.

it's quite a comfy and versatile one at that too.

I have a 1.2 which I put R561 wheels on, a tiagra hollowtechII chainset and R600 calipers - was a great bike. I used it for all sorts - took it to the alps, did the manchester-blackpool on it - even did a coast to coast on it!

try changing the wheels - the std bontrager SSR's on mine were fairly hefty items and the bike felt much better with different wheels / tyres on it.
  • have you looked at ribble cycles own builds? some of the specs for the money are superb especially the one at £999 i think it is.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    have you looked at ribble cycles own builds? some of the specs for the money are superb especially the one at £999 i think it is.

Or even the one at £725 with Veloce......must be better than a Trek, surely?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Specialized Roubaux, everytime I ride it I can't believe how good it is.
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    thexvw wrote:
    Specialized Roubaux, everytime I ride it I can't believe how good it is.

I second that - I own a Roubaix Elite and the bike is just brilliant; excellent value for money in my opinion !
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    third it - amazing bike!
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I'd hurry up or it'll be a winter bike.