Trouble Fitting Brake Rotors

LuckyKa
LuckyKa Posts: 10
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all, just got my new 08 Commencal Furious.

And upon fitting the rotors to the hubs (no spacers) i've found that the rear rotor actually rubs against the brake mounts on the frame, removing paint. I'm running a 180mm rotor, if i ran a 203 it would clear it barely, but their would be no gap between frame and rotor.

I have the same problem on the front, but the rotor is 203mm. It don't rub as bad, but their is no gap between the fork leg and rotor.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    brake mount. as in part of the frame or the adaptors?

and the brakes are ?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • LuckyKa
    Ahh, sorry. Tired.

The brakes are Hope m4's. Which i belive are Post Mount. And i haven't fitted any adaptors on the rear, haven't even fitted the calipers/pistons yet. It litterally rubs against the frame. Where the adaptors would bolt to.

The front brake has the actual calipers and pads attached to the forks. It works, but i have to leave the bolts rather loose. Or the disc won't fit inside the pads. I'm sorry if this seems rather louzy explanation. But i'm rubbish at technical stuff.
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    got a camera, photos would probably help ;)
  • LuckyKa
    dsc00497sa4.th.jpg

Thats the rear one, there's no gap now as i haven't fully tightened the bolts. But once i have,the rotor is flush against the frame.

Give me two minutes and i'll update with pics of the front.
  • nicklouse
    ahhh the bolts between the braking surface and the spider catch.

nothing you can do other than different rotors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • LuckyKa
    New rotors? Is that due to the thickness of the rotors? Argh. Which can you reccomend? As i don't thinkmany places list the thickness of them.

And the front

dsc00491kp3.th.jpg
  • nicklouse
    front should be OK

you could file a bit of the frame but then bye bye to possible warranty.

IIRC this frame has post mount rear and has a few clearance issues please discus this with the supplying shop as to what is the recommended solution..
  • LuckyKa
    Well, i'll ring Torico tomorow. And address the problem and take a trip to my LBS. Just need to find the money for rotors now.Might actually try my old avid rotors.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    What hubs are they? I had a similar problem with my Hope Sports, i needed a different combination of axle and spacers to move the wheel over enough.