replacing middle chainring

DanBan
DanBan Posts: 10
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just replaced my chain and am now experiencing some serious chain suck in the middle ring - its over 12 months old put in a good service and is knackered. Rear shifting is fine in all other gears. I can't get the bloody thing off without removing the crank arm - i am loath to pay for this at a bike shop so how easy is it to remove the crank arm without tinkering with the BB? Any decent websites for simple instructions and tools for this?

Cheers DB

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Parktools.

what is the crankset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DanBan
    Yeah was just thinking that. Its a 2006 XT Hollowtech II.
  • nicklouse
    unde left hand clamp bolts a bit by a bit then remove the preload bolt and tap out the axle.

All on parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • DanBan
    cheers dude - can this be done with just an allen key? i don't need a fancy tool to extract the arms?
  • nicklouse
    well you need to undo the preload bolt and then do it up again.
  • DanBan
    excuse my ignorance - do i need a little plastic thing to tighten/loosen the plastic centre of the left arm?
  • nicklouse
    it helps.
  • DanBan
    thank you i'll just have a go at it.

Cheers