Trailer recommendations

garryac
garryac Posts: 32
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
just as the topic says..does anyone use a trailer and if so can the throw any recommendations in my direction s]

Cheers

Comments

• galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    Can't offer much advice but just got myself a Carry Freedom Y-Frame because I like the adaptability. I will be using it for many different tasks including runs to the tip/recycling bins, fishing, camping and hopefully some light tours and it should be able to handle them all.
    It only came yesterday and I've only had a test run empty but I could hardly tell it was there (apart from the rattle), so as I say I am still a novice yet. :oops:
  • garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    galaxyboy wrote:
    Can't offer much advice but just got myself a Carry Freedom Y-Frame because I like the adaptability. I will be using it for many different tasks including runs to the tip/recycling bins, fishing, camping and hopefully some light tours and it should be able to handle them all.
    It only came yesterday and I've only had a test run empty but I could hardly tell it was there (apart from the rattle), so as I say I am still a novice yet. :oops:

I looked at that one as well...how do things fasten onto it ,,are there bunjy hooks?
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    You get a couple of velcro straps with it and some feet to fit to the bottom of a box and the holes in the board. Obviously you can use bungees, rope, ratchet straps or whatever suits.
    Plenty of detail on www.carryfreedom.com
  • TorugartTim
    TorugartTim Posts: 105
    The ExtraWheel is worth a look - there's a good review here
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I've towed a Bob Yak for over 7000 miles with no problems at all. As far as handling goes I couldn't tell it was there.

Mind you, that was behind a tandem. On solo bikes some people seem to have problems with them fishtailing although I think the way they are packed influences that a lot.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I have a Carry freedom y large. It is steady as a rock even at 40 mph. Will carry pretty much anything you care to strap to it. As regards fixing stuff to it: you can strap boxes to the board, bungee or strap stuff direct to the board using the holes in it, or remove the board and build a strong box in it's place. Largest load lugged weight wise has been about 70 kgs of bagged compost, largest volumewise a boxed bike.

It is hugely adaptable and especially good for bulky stuff where you will eventually struggle with pretty much every other trailer design.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Or to put it another way, you could put the payload of any other mass produced trailer on a Y large, but not the other way round.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    There's another recent thread about trailers here:
    have a look at that for other suggestions...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=12574831
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I have used the Bo Yak in past but for the last couple of yearsIi have had the BOB Ibex and it has performed excellently.

As Long as i do not overload it then it is great, and in the Nullabor Desert it provided me with extra space for 10 litres of water.

The Ibex has suspension so on unsealed roads it amootha out the rough bits

george
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Depends on what you are carrying and why....

I have a BOB Yak for mucky stuff and bulk, a Bike Hod for shopping and a Radical Cyclone for Touring.

The Bike Hod is fine if you have sat post room, and attaches quickly and scurely. It also acts as a "Granny Trolley" or handcart when off the bike

bikehod.jpg

The Cyclone is basically a holdall with internal frame and wheels. Th big advantage is that if you are touring then it gets on to trains and into hotels which would baulk at a bicycle trailer.

radical_cyclone.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    The ExtraWheel is worth a look - there's a good review here

My comments re the Extrawheel are included in the blog above, but I'd say that while the Extrawheel would be fine for camping, it's not suited for general load-carrying due to using bags.
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    As galaxyboy says I too bought a Carryfrredon Y-frame for the adaptability. I can do the weekly shopping with it, put camping gear in it, or take the plastic bin off and use it as a flat-bed trailer for various loads (Including the cat box if I need to (although I'm not sure what the cat thinks about it!). I generally use the velcro straps it came with and maybe a bugee or two depending on the load.