Please Help

Bluey VIII
Bluey VIII Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I came off the bike last Sunday and think I've bruised at least one Rib on my left side. I'm pretty sure it's not cracked because I've done that before and the pain was a lot worse than I've got at the moment..

Immedialetly after it happened the pain wasn't too bad, I just felt a bit winded. However, as I got into Sunday evening it started to hurt like hell. I've been icing the area for 20-25mins, 3 times a day for the last week. I've also been rubbing Ibropfen Gel onto the area 3 times day (I have a stomach problem which means I can't take Ibroprofen orally!)

For the first few days it seemed to make a good/fast recovery and got a little better every day, however, for the last few days it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

I'm supposed to be playing in a 5-a-side soccer competition this coming Saturday so is there anything I can do to help speed-up the healing. Should I stop icing it now, is doing it for so long counter productive??

Please help, I really want to play in the 5-a-side competition because we won it last year so are defending champions 8) 8)

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

Sorry to hear about your accident! I cracked a rib last year and it's flipping painful isn't it - coughing, sneezing, breathing, all hurt!

They take about 6 weeks to heal (and stop hurting) and apart from what you're doing there isn't much else you can do i'm afraid.... Whether it's cracked or *just* severely bruised, I think it's just a waiting game really :?

Sorry I can't be any more help!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Sounds like a cracked rib alright. If you go to the doctor you'll likely be prescribed some painkillers. I got some codeine-based ones that worked a treat :wink: Don't bother with other stuff - it's two halves of a cracked bone rubbing against each other, so ibuprofen gel is like a, er, walnut to crack a sledgehammer, or something...
  • Thanks Guys....I still only think it's bruised though because there now isn't any pain when I sneeze, cough,laugh,etc,etc.....(there was last week but that's gone now). The only pain I've got is a pain when I run or jump...

Is it possible to over do the icing?? I'm still icing it over a week later and I'm wondering if that's now preventing the bruise from healing? Someone at work also mentioned putting heat on it now as that will promote blood flow to the area? Any ideas?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you're injured then you can't do much about it, ice generally helps keep swelling down, and it should be past that, i'd do warm. However if it is hurting then you wont do your team justice playing injured, start looking for a replacement.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Yup, agreed. Needs to be warm now. Ice for the first 48/72 hours then warm. Improves the local blood flow and helps get things fixed. Other than that it is just time I'm afraid...
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath