Cycling Arrogance

daz51
daz51 Posts: 159
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I was riding down a nice quiet contry lane in west wales when approaching i see a cyclist. He was all kitted out with the kit etc. When he was due to come past i lifted my hand to wave and said hello and guess what .....................not a word !!!!! or wave !!!!!! ARROGANT B**TERD.

cyclists should all stick together. You will never know when that cyclist riding past has the tool that you need on them. Motorcycling is different and if your parked on the side of the road motorbikes will pull over to see if your ok.

well i hope this cyclist from earlier breaks down and people ride past and laugh. Thats all they deserve.

not all you guys are like this are you?

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You get the odd w.....

Most people say Hi, and stop if I've stopped and I do the same

As you say, we should stick together

A neighbour of mine has all the kit belongs to a club, blanks me everytime, I thought it was because I just had an MTB at the time, arrogant w....

Then I got my roadie, still blanks me and puts on his "I'm really fast and determind" face on, t*sser

People like that deserve clipless moments
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • daz51
    THis one this morning Rich was like that:- "oh look at me the wind is behind me so i can ride faster then normal and look like Lance Armstrong with my yellow jersey "

I was riding into a straight head wind using a high cadance to maintain 15-16mph.
  • Rich Hcp
    You don't need it do you, he'd probably turned round because the wind was too strong :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • daz51
    makes me ask the question with the Roadie scene is there a split between low end and top end riders ????
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Whereabouts was this?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daz51
    on a little back lane just outside Aberystwyth
  • Rich Hcp
    daz51 wrote:
    makes me ask the question with the Roadie scene is there a split between low end and top end riders ????

I don't think so.

I've been out on my MTB or roadie and seen a group of clubbies and they say Hi, take care etc

Same with people on their own, whatever.

There are jus some people who are arrogant, and think because they have a decent bike and a yellow shirt that they are better than me.

The phrase £2K bike and 2p legs springs to mind..

The difference is, I'm enjoying myself 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • daz51
    Dont get me started on Rich people who can afford 2-3k road bikes yet cant ride for shit !!!!!!!!
  • Rich Hcp
    At least I know how good or bad I am

(You're right, lets not go there)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I get blanked by people I've been riding and racing with for years - it's just some people. I do try and acknowledge other riders on the road - even a smile or a raised hand. Sadly there are even whole clubs who put their hard faces on and ignore you - generally the ones from south west london who come down our way and act like they own the place! I smile though - knowing that I've only had to ride a mile into open countryside, not past 20 miles of suburbia..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    some people are just arrogant tossers :? but two nice ladies helped me out yesterday with my puncture yesterday :D
    cheesy quaver
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Most of my riding is out on country lanes and I usually say Hi to any biker, pedestrian or runner who is out there. I also pull over and let motorists pass on the narrower roads. When you are out on your own you never know when you might need a hand off some one, or who you might offend.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I was riding down a little dirt track today wide enough for one cyclist, i pulled over to let a group of about 20 pass - everyone of them said hello.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    daz51 wrote:
    Dont get me started on Rich people who can afford 2-3k road bikes yet cant ride for shoot !!!!!!!!

More than once on the way home along Richmond Road, I'd get to Priory Lane, and all the roadies would be there to turn left at the lights to head up to the Park. I'd be there first on my Sirrus with panniers and then have some twit drop in front me. Lights would go green and the stupid w*nkers would then take forever to get moving, what with wrong gears for taking off quickly, and mucking around getting shoes in.

Not just poseurs, but arrogant.

In a standing start I easily beat most of them, panniers, mudguards on a non-racing bike and all, and had immense satisfaction when I passed them at speed (and still mucking around with getting clipped in)
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Rich Hcp
    That's exactly the way I think.

Politeness costs nothing
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • daz51
    I dont expect people to pull over for a 20 mins chat as i do respect some are practicing 10 mile time trials etc,

but raising a hand or saying one word is simple !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    It's called common courtesy.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    daz51 wrote:
    Dont get me started on Rich people who can afford 2-3k road bikes yet cant ride for shoot !!!!!!!!

please start.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    I try to Let on to everyone. whether it be with a nod or a wave. But if im going flat stick i tend not to. Its not personal, its just because I cant move haha
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    A big hello to the chap who did the head down ignore thing to my cheery hello, as he passed me the other day, then spent the next mile or two checking under his arm to see if he'd dropped me yet, which he hadn't, though I did lose him at a T junction after a bit.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    daz51 wrote:
    I was riding down a nice quiet contry lane in west wales when approaching i see a cyclist. He was all kitted out with the kit etc. When he was due to come past i lifted my hand to wave and said hello and guess what .....................not a word !!!!! or wave !!!!!! ARROGANT B**TERD.

cyclists should all stick together. You will never know when that cyclist riding past has the tool that you need on them. Motorcycling is different and if your parked on the side of the road motorbikes will pull over to see if your ok.

well i hope this cyclist from earlier breaks down and people ride past and laugh. Thats all they deserve.

not all you guys are like this are you?

Yawn, yawn yawn - this has been done to death

TT Bike - No wave
    Road bike going hard - no wave
    any other time ill wave

TBH, i really couldn't care less what people think of me on the road (i have shaved legs and wear lycra, im well aware what most people think) If im out on my TT bike, or pushing a big effort on my road bike, all that concerns me is the 50ft directly infront of me. If im out on a casual ride, or doing tempo/recovery i wave as any other cyclists - ill stop and offer assistance if i see someone at the side of the road who looks lie they need help - unless i cant help - on my TT bike i dont carry any spares and i use tubs anyway, so even if i did i wouldnt be much help.
  • tenbar
    tenbar Posts: 94
    It's got nothing to do with being a cyclist. The people you meet who ignore you on the road are probably also ignorant in their civvies. I know a few people at work who won't give you the time of day unless they're after something.
  • madturkey
    madturkey Posts: 58
    So unfit that it probably looks like I'm just pootling around when in fact I'm about to collapse in a heap, but unless I'm going up a steep hill eyes bulging I'll at least nod at people.

What really winds me up (echoing an earlier post) is the attitude of some chain gangs or faster club runs. Many times I've been swept past by a chain gang / gropup who have cut in so close that I've nearly come a cropper. It's almost like you're resented for having the temerity of being on the same piece of tarmac as they are. "We're in training" is no excuse, it's just pure arrogance.
  • Dscotland
    Dscotland Posts: 34
    "QUOTE " Yawn, yawn yawn - this has been done to death

surely this is a beginners section of the forum and therefore new people to the forum will not usually be aware of the ignrance or rudeness of other cyclist and gereral other road users yet
    and come on here to vent their feelings about there "new " road experience
    dlamb
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Everyone wants to head up to Liverpool/West Lancashire because it's really friendly up this way - believe me.
    Everytime that I am out - whether on my own training or on a chain gang, club run, etc - everyone waves to everyone else or at least gives a 'how do' (Lancashire for 'Hello) or 'Alright' (Scouse for 'Hello').
    Only the odd time do you come across someone who doesn't look up and give you a friendly nod or greeting - even TT riders out training.
    Intense training or not, bad manners is no excuse - whether to roadies, mounties or runners.
    Even the other day, I was doing circuits up a particulary long and steep hill near Parbold. There was a runner going downwards. I passed him near the top as we exchanged greetings. Then, I dropped down the other side, took a 10 minute detour to get back to the foot of the hill and passed him again - only this time half-way up (still don't know how i managed this).
    We said hello again but he asked could i go a bit slower this time as he thought I was showing him up and laughed - see not everyone is a moody git!!!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Same, going hard I'll try but may not even see you!
    Not a big fan of some poeple though who get annoyed when you overtake them. It's nothing personal but if I'm doing 20mph and you're doing 17mph then I will overtake you and not wait! You want to speed up and say Hi, thats fine. But you should change your speed to mine, not expect me to slow down!!!
    Rant over. :x
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Doing most of my riding around London you sorta get used to just ignoring everyone else for fear of looking at them wrong and ending up stabbed!

Having said this I normally do try and acknowledge other cyclist when I'm on quieter roads away from the city centre. I joined a couple of workmates for a ride the other weekend around some country lanes in their area (Swanley/St Mary's Cray area, good fun after a 15 mile ride to meet them!) and we came across a cycle club who said good morning. I responded by my deaf mate didn't and he got a light hearted ticking off when they came across us again a bit later :-) I was adjusting my brakes and they asked if I was OK and said "You never know when you might need a hand!"

I'll even on same rare occasions strike up a conversation when stopped :-) Had a nice conversation with a fellow cyclist this morning after arriving about 30 seconds to late at a railway crossing and having to wait for 2 trains to pass :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    daz51 wrote:
    on a little back lane just outside Aberystwyth
    I was at uni at Aber 1997-2000, absolutely loved it. I wish I was into cycling back then - the roads around there are fantastic. Some killer climbs as well - I bet the drag up from Borth would be a killer :shock:
  • bombdogs
    Fair do, Nolf
    I am the same. When I am out training, I try not to overtake people in case they think that I am pushing myself just to overtake them.
    To be honest, though, when I spot someone in the distance, I cannot help but aim for them and overtake - it's just my competitive nature.
    Admittedly, I do tend to push a bit harder once I am past in order that they don't catch me up and make a fool of me!!!
  • bombdogs
    Fair do, Nolf
    I am the same. When I am out training, I try not to overtake people in case they think that I am pushing myself just to overtake them.
    To be honest, though, when I spot someone in the distance, I cannot help but aim for them and overtake - it's just my competitive nature.
    Admittedly, I do tend to push a bit harder once I am past in order that they don't catch me up and make a fool of me!!!