What Tyres?

mab bee
mab bee Posts: 196
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
I currently have 28mm Continental Ultra-Gatorskins on my Touring bike. This is used for fully loaded camping-touring (panniers front and back, plus stuff strapped to the top of the rack).

Most other people I see out seem to use wider tyres -- but the gatorskins only go up to 28mm. So, what are the alternatives at about 32mm width (and preferably with a slick tread similar to the gatorskins)?

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    The Panaracer Pasela comes in 32.

No reason not to carry on with the Gatorskins, provided you aren't having problems.
  • malakal
    malakal Posts: 7
    German manufacturer Schwalbe do a good line called 'Marathon' and also a 'Marathon Plus' series, which basically never puncture, in a good range of sizes
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have been very happy with my Schwalbe Marathons. Experience with Cont's (Sport Contacts) was very poor, many punctures despite the 1 year no puncture guarantee, I gather gatorskins have mixed reviews (some swear by them, others report punctures and tears). My impression is that the carcasss and rubber compounds Conti use are less durable than Schwalbe and other brands (had great success with Specialized All Conditions Pro's). Never punctured with the Schalbe's or the Spesh's.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    malakal wrote:
    German manufacturer Schwalbe do a good line called 'Marathon' and also a 'Marathon Plus' series, which basically never puncture, in a good range of sizes

Ever since we started touring in 2005, we only use Marathon Plus tires, but we got one flat while riding along the Loire river earlyer this year.
    It was a flat, almost triangular shaped glass like object (looked like a sharks tooth), and it sliced right through everything at the center of the tire. So the 100% record has been broken. Still a great record and we wouldn't think of riding with any other tire.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    3 years and several thousand miles on Schwalbe Marathon XR's and XR evolutions

Across deserts and unsealed roads in south america and australia. Now in south East Asia

stil zero p*unctt*res

Can't recommend them hiighly enough

george
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    I use Panaracer/Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy tyres when touring. I pack light and use a sport touring bike. They are very puncture resistant so they are perfect for roads and dirt trails.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If you're happy with the Gatorskins, stick with them. You could try the Sport Contacts if you want he same but wider. I've been perfectly happy with mine. For general use they are fine
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use Marathon Plus exclusively on all the bikes except the Thorn Nomad which has the XR.

I wouldn't use anything else
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • andymiller
    Marathon Plus weigh 800g a tyre for 700x32c versus 480g for the equivalent Sport Contact - the puncture protection comes at a price.
  • alfablue
    andymiller wrote:
    Marathon Plus weigh 800g a tyre for 700x32c versus 480g for the equivalent Sport Contact - the puncture protection comes at a price.
    The price of the light weight of the Contact Sports is rapid wear and frequent punctures. After just 3 months use I gave up with them and the tyre tread was already significantly worn down.
  • andymiller
    alfablue wrote:
    andymiller wrote:
    The price of the light weight of the Contact Sports is rapid wear and frequent punctures. After just 3 months use I gave up with them and the tyre tread was already significantly worn down.

There's a trade-off to make: a really thick tyre will obviously last longer but the price you pay is all of the extra weight. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference where you make that trade-off. I'm simply making the point that you don't get something for nothing.

I've never had frequent punctures with either Gatorskins or Sport Contacts despite using them as daily London commuters for years. (I have however gone down the route of putting Sludge in the tubes - time will tell whether at 100g a tyre (IIRC) it is the best solution).
  • alfablue
    andymiller wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    andymiller wrote:

There's a trade-off to make: a really thick tyre will obviously last longer but the price you pay is all of the extra weight. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference where you make that trade-off. I'm simply making the point that you don't get something for nothing.
    Agreed Andy. On tours I will trade off the weight for reliability, for day to day riding I use something lighter.
  • If you have no problems with your current tyres I don't think you need to change them. 32mm should in theory offer a more comfortable ride, I suggest you load up your bike and see how it feels with the extra weight.

I got Conti Sport Contacts in 32mm I they have been fine so far I have rode over glass and lots of debris so far without punctures, however only done about 500 miles so far.

I'm going touring in northern France in a few days; I will let you know how I get on with them afterwards.
  • wasi
    wasi Posts: 109
    I think the OP asked for tyres similar to the Gatorskins but wider. So standard Marathons and even more so XRs are not what he was looking for. There is a slick Marathon (I think it's called Racer but could be wrong) which would fit the bill. I use Vittoria Randonneurs, which also not slicks but I find them extremely comfortable - and I believe there is a fast version of them too.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    malakal wrote:

Heh, I was told that too, very first time I went for a ride on them, I punctured on a hedge clipping :P

But that was a one-off, I've done over 1000 miles since and there's been no more.