Routes incorporating l'Alpe de Huez

RB1260
RB1260 Posts: 29
Hi. I'm heading to l'Alpe de Huez in August and looking for a 100km (approx) route that incorporates the climb. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards, Richard.

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    edited July 2008
    Where are you staying / starting your ride from?
    Rich
  • RB1260
    RB1260 Posts: 29
    Haven't booked anywhere as yet so open to suggestions.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    This thread in the Tour and Expedition section is full of good advice about routes in the area around Alpe d'Huez;

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12564617
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    Richard,

Andyp's already pointed you in the right direction with the other thread which probably repeats my advice.

Definitely buy the bike oisans book from the tourist office in Bourg D'Oisans. http://www.bikes-oisans.com/

Plenty of great routes and shows some alternatives around the Alpe. Col de Sarenne is recommended. My only complaint about the book is that after all the pictures of French cyclists the Brit shows up on the page about accidents with some ketchup on his knee!

Enjoy.
  • Three options I can think of.

The classic tour with the Col du Galibier and Alpe d'Huez will give you a route a little over the 100km.

Glandon and Croix de Fer with Alpe d'Huez at the end.

Solude, Sabot and Alpe d'Huez. A little more off the beaten track but very nice.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Ride from Bourg d'Oisans to Allemond and climb up to Villard-Reculas, then along the cliff road to Huez (about halfway up the AdH climb); then ride up to AdH itself and out the back of town to climb over and descend the col du Sarenne, returning down the main valley highway towards Bourg d'Oisans.

Alternatively at the foot of the descent from the Sarenne, after crossing the Lac du Chambon reservoir, you can rejoin the cliff road at Le Freney-d'Oisans and ride back to the AdH climb for a second helping.

I've no idea if it's 100km -- maybe take a detour up to Les Deux Alpes if you want to add kms.
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Get a copy of this years tour route for the days they were there and mix and match as i did.
    I did the croix d fer from the allemond side a beautiful ride but i would say it was 10% all the way, so it must be the hardest side!!!

Peter