Opinions on this frameset please

ivancarlos
ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
edited August 2008 in Workshop
I have pain!

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    i've recently built a bike from a much older, but never built up, Principia frame. They're beautifully made and finished, mine rides very smoothly. If it's what your after, it will form the basis of a very good bike - definitely a bargain at that price.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

If it fits you, then it's a bargain. Are you very tell, or very short? They only have a 47 and a 61 left...

Don't buy it unless it's the right size, no matter what the price!

Cheers, Andy
  • BigDutch
    BigDutch Posts: 127
    Principia make great frames but like andrewgturnbull says if it doesn't fit properly don't buy it. No amount of discount makes up for a poorly fitting frame.

Besides, you can get complete Lemonds for less than £600 and I'd expect them to go even cheaper now he's been dumped by Trek :-D
  • ivancarlos
    They've got the full range of sizes in that model.
    I have pain!
  • bill57
    Ivancarlos is right, looks like it should read 47 TO 61cm. Wonder if I can justify another one?
  • easy
    easy Posts: 17
    I rode and raced a Principia RSL for years. I loved it. It developed a bit of a crack in the chanistay after 50,000+km (plus a number of crashes and three car collisions) which made me give it up. I highly recommend it.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    ivancarlos wrote:
    They've got the full range of sizes in that model.

Aha - I never scrolled down past the bit that said "Size - 47cm and 61cm"...

Cheers, Andy
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    BigDutch wrote:
    Principia make great frames but like andrewgturnbull says if it doesn't fit properly don't buy it. No amount of discount makes up for a poorly fitting frame.

Besides, you can get complete Lemonds for less than £600 and I'd expect them to go even cheaper now he's been dumped by Trek :-D

Principia MADE great frames mate, these frames for sale or 3 or 4 years old.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    I had a '96 to '97 season Principia RSL built up with Ultegra (inc. hub on CXP30s rims if I recall rightly), was an absolute dream to ride! If money was not so tight, I would love to get one one these CRC bargains...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ivancarlos
    Well got one in the end and here it is built up with Ultegra groupset

11bj5vc.jpg
    I have pain!
  • bill57
    That's a beautiful bike for bargain money. Well chosen, I bet the smile is still stuck on your face. Is that a 55cm or 57cm? Not that I need one, noooo..... help!!
  • ivancarlos
    57cm. Yep still smiling :D
    I have pain!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Looks lovely! Would be interested to know how the ride feels, compared to carbon framed effort.

Did you build it up yourself, or get a LBS to fit the groupset?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ivancarlos
    LBS stripped down my old frame and built it up for £60. I have only ridden it up and down the street so far but planning a good ride tomorrow.
    I have pain!
  • bill57
    What was your old frame?
  • ivancarlos
    Old frame was a Planet X superteam light. Only a year old but hardly ridden beacause it was giving me back problems. Going to put it up for sale soon.
    I have pain!
  • ivancarlos
    Looks lovely! Would be interested to know how the ride feels, compared to carbon framed effort.

It does ride nicely. Can't compare it to carbon but nice and responsive and not too harsh.
    I have pain!
  • Gak
    Gak Posts: 1
    I'm looking to build using a principia frame also and using Ultegra SL groupset. But not sure of the little details. could you please write a full spec? This might answer a few questions.
    Cheers
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    I also bought a Principia from Chain Reaction, I went for the Team Issue in the Danish national colours. It's a lovely frame, very stiff, and only slightly harsher than the carbon frame that it is replacing. It's worth noting that 2004 or earlier Ellipses are made in Denmark, I'm not sure if this applies to their other frames. From what I could find out, they went bankrupt after this, and someone bought the name, but produced frames in Taiwan.
    The Taiwanese frames look identical apart from minor details, but I prefered to have an original frame.

I'll take a photo and post it later.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I always admired the Principias. Very nice build.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I'm intriqued about this one...

I've been mulling over a new bike for a couple of years now, without ever quite being able to take the plunge. My budget has always been a max of £1,500 - and if possible, below that.

However, many of the bikes around that price range I find a bit uninspiring. First I wanted Ti, then carbon, then Ti, and now I don't know.

What are people's views of buying this frame and building it up with good components versus a £1,200-£1,500 bike such as a Time Speedster? Is the frame in the same league?
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    I think that these framesets are an amazing deal. Alu frames are unfashionable now, but in my opinion a top end alu frame is far superior to a cheap carbon. I reckon that the Ellipse frames are the best value of those that CRC are selling off. Why not price up one of the frames plus groupset, wheels, and finishing kit, and compare it to what you can get off the shelf?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Let's say I spend £470 on a Campag Chorus groupset. Throw on my own Reynolds Alta Race wheels, buy some pedals, handlebars and tape; and I'm looking at approx £1,000.

For that, I can get a Scott Speedster with Ultegra; a Cannondale Synapse with 105; a Cannondale CAAD9 with 105; a Planet-X with Ultegra (I think); a Felt z65 with Ultegra or probably something along the lines of a Focus Cayo...

In terms of frame strength, where does the Principia stand?
  • Hi Ivancarlos

I need a new frame in a hurry, as I cracked the bottom bracket shell on my steel Basso frame last night.
    The Principia looks like a bargain - are you happy with it?
    Can you tell me whether it needs a band on front mech, or it there a hanger on the frame?
    Also, what type of headset and bottom bracket is required?

cheers

Richard