Jelly Babies, how many + how often?

NYK
NYK Posts: 30
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Hi, I've heard mentioned several times that jelly babies are a good way to boost glycogen levels whilst riding. If this is so when during a ride do you eat them, how many and how often, or do you eat them before or both?

Comments

• Never heard that before and would be interested in hearing that answered.

If only it were the same for pints of lager.....
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    If the youth and vigour of Jelly Babiees are an energy source, would Jellyatrics slow you down?

05278_a_p.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    I don't believe everything I read on Tinterweb but:
    Think you know your arb from your carb? Well did you know, for example, that 9 jelly babies will provide the same amount of carbohydrate as a litre of low-fat milk or a cup of baked beans? And exactly how many carbs should you be taking in during the days leading up to your big event? Shelly Meltzer and Cecily Fuller, authors of ‘Eating for Sport’, spell out the details clearly and simply.

http://www.fastfuel.co.za/showarticle.asp?articleId=31

http://www.realbuzz.com/?pageID=1996&topic=74829

Isn't a lower GI source of "sugar" better such as maltodextrin (off the top-of-my-head)?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are good for when you 'bonk' - or about to, as are a quick source of fast absorbed sugars. Emergency food.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    If I had Jelly Babies in my pack, I think that I would eat them all before I even got to the end of the street. Yum.
  • NYK
    Took some with me on todays ride and ate some when we stopped at the tea stall, bearing in mind I was seriously f#@$*d at this point. Half an hour later when we set off I felt recharged and ready for more punishment. I will definately be using them from now on even if it's just a placebo affect. Plus they tase sooo good, mmmmm.
  • monstadog
    monstadog Posts: 80
    Jelly babies are good. eat two or three every 15- 20 mins and you dont need anything else. My problem is having the willpower to only eat 2 or 3 :D
  • lol. I'm actually allergic to jelly babies. One of the worst things in the world to be allergic to... But being a rebel I've had days off with migranes from work before from having one too many when I shouldnt have the night before
    Train hard, ride easy
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Did a 6 hour epic on Monday & used JBs - well my mate did and I joined in. It's hard to judge but my energy levels were good.

Definately for use 'during' - we had two each every 20mins after the first couple of hours. Even if it doesn't work they are cheap, taste nice & don't melt.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Opal fruits (sorry - showing my age) Starbursts are also great for a sugar burst. I have 1 every 10 minutes after the first hour of riding. They make me feel great too as I look forward to my next one (sad - I know) and I only need water with them. If I don't have them with me I tend to have a carb or electrolyte drink instead.
    Julia Revitt
    Personal & Sports Nutrition Adviser
    www.aquilahealth.co.uk
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    the jelly bean thing is true but sports beans are even better, made by jelly belly but filled with glucose and e numbers to give that massive boost
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    the jelly bean thing is true but sports beans are even better, made by jelly belly but filled with glucose and e numbers to give that massive boost

As apposed to normal jelly beans which are obviously full of fruit and fibre..... All jelly beans are full of sugar, they just stick some caffeine in the 'sports' ons and charge you twice as much.

TBH any simplish sugars are pretty good while you are riding. You can only absorb a certain amount of calories while you are actively exercising as your body is diverting all your blood supply to your muscles so you need simple stuff that is easily absorbed. Jelly babies are essentially jellified sugar so easy to absorb and taste gooooood.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    supersonic wrote:
    They are good for when you 'bonk' - or about to, as are a quick source of fast absorbed sugars. Emergency food.

i have to use food that i hate for my emergancy food other wise i will eat it too early b4 i realy need it. so i stick to energy jell....... that stuff is nastyand i can happerly keep on in my saddle back incase i need it. 6 jelly babies would not last 30 seconds with me.

on the longer rides i will tkae fig rolls or even a flap jack for longer buning carbs.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I'm more for sugary cola bottle myself, but jelly babies definitely seem to be favoured by some riders I know.

How many? Until you've had enough I suppose.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    How many? Until you've had enough I suppose.

Indeed, don't be too scared of sugars, you'll burn them off fast when you get going. Much better than a chocolate bar etc (unless you're Ally McBeal, in which case I'd suggest a family sized Galaxy bar every mile).
  • NYK
    I'm using jelly babies all the time since starting this topic and thoroughly recommend them. I ride for 3- 4hrs relatively fast (for me anyway) on forest singletrack and 12 JB's, 2 every 30 mins, plus plenty of H2o works for me. If the weather is wet though put them in a sandwich bag or end up with a very sticky pocket! Also hide them from the kids or they wont be there when you want them.
  • Travis_M
    Travis_M Posts: 62
    I used to use them all the time during the Marathon part of an IronMan. It's a great pick me up.
    I try not to use evcess Energy food if I can help it, but try and train my body to be more effecient.
    I do though, carry Energy Gell with me, just incase things get a little weird! (I live in a hot place, and Jelly Beans would just melt, or I would eat them to quickly)
  • I buy them from aldi for 40p but they've all gone before I can take them on a ride. Nuts are better as they release their energy over a longer period.
    Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.
  • Jelly Babies are good energy food but they really are the poor man's Tangfastics...