Will my old shifter work with my new mech?

MilesXC
MilesXC Posts: 40
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm upgrading several parts on my steed, includng a '08 XT Shadow rear mech.

I currently have a nasty old acera dual control shifter which has no gear tension adjustabilty up front.

You can see what i mean here... http://www.rewebikes.com/fotos/1264_shifters_acera.jpg

Will I still be able to use thes old shifters with the XT Shadow?

Comments

• In theory yes, but you'll have to get the cable tension absolutely spot on because the Shadow has no barrell adjuster either.
  • MilesXC
    That was my concern.
    I guess there's one way to find out eh?
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    You could always get an inline adjusterwhich will work just fine
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above inline adjuster or you will not get it set up correctly and you find adjusting for cable stretch a pain.

save some cash and get the LX.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Can you get 8 speed LX still? Otherwise new LX shifters will require a major transmission upgrade to 9 speed.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    does it matter? a mech will work with any shifter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Yeah but a cassette and chain won't - presumably he currently has an 8sp cassette to go with his 8 speed shifters!
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • MilesXC
    Yeah, I'm currently running 8 spd still.

I was looking into an upgrade to 9spd but was assuming the cassette wouldn't fit my hub.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    the cassette will be fine on your hub, 8 speed uses the same freehub body as 9 speed.

7->8 speed won't go, but 8->9 is fine :D
  • nicklouse
    MilesXC wrote:
    Yeah, I'm currently running 8 spd still.

I was looking into an upgrade to 9spd but was assuming the cassette wouldn't fit my hub.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

so if you want to go 9sp, new shifter, new brake lever. new chain, new cassette. you can use your current rear mech if you wish.
  • MilesXC
    9spd it is then, that'll make it a damn sight easier to buy shifters lol.
    Thanks for yr responses.
    I'll make a post once it's all (hopefully) up and running.