Re-seating brake piston

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a new set of Avid pads for my rear brake (Avid Juicy Three) but the pads won't go in as the pistons seem to be too closed. I can see where the round 'nipple' of the piston is catching on the brake pads as there is a mark on the copper brake pad plate.

I've tried using a flat bladed screwdriver to push the pistons back in but when i push one side back in the other side comes out.

HELP!
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• johnnyrotten
    johnnyrotten Posts: 216
    I guess if the worst came to the worst you could try openig one of the bleeding points to relieve the pressure, push the pistons back into place, then bleed the brake. :?

Johnny.
  • johnnyrotten
    I don't mean to insult you, but are you putting the pads into the correct sides? I take it you know that they are side-specific. I fought with mine for a bit before realising. :oops:
  • steelo
    Oh yeah I realise they are side specific. There are 'L' and 'R' marked on them plus one pad has a formed 'tang' which means it will only fit on one side anyway - the frame is the other side!

I'd open the reservoir to relieve the pressure but I don't have a bleed kit and don't particularly want to spend £25 on one just to fit a set of pads!

Would a reverse set of pliers and a lot of force work?
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • johnnyrotten
    Sorry Steelo, I don't know. Personally, being the gimp I am, I would force it until I broke it. :lol: But that's just me.
  • steelo
    All done, brake back to new working ways.

I put the old, worn out pads back in then put a flat bladed screwdriver between them, twisted it so that the pads were pressed right in (away from each other), then gave the brake lever a light squeeze to settle the fluid. Took the screwdriver out, took the old pads out, then the new pads slipped straight in with no issues at all!

I just hope it works now. If it doesn't i'll let you know!
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09