Legbreaker Challenge - July 20th

MarcB
MarcB Posts: 46
Can't guarantee the weather this year but we've got 15 places left for the Legbreaker Challenge on July 20th.
You can enter online at www.legbreaker.co.uk

Comments

• BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    :D Great event - looking forward to it (kinda!).
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Am doing this for reasons that escape me now.. anyone whos done it before recommend the sort of gearing needed? Never ridden that side of Leek, and the climb to Flash looks a swine on the profile, can't decide on a triple, changing to spare wheel with 32T big ring & MTB mech, or sticking with the 25T & shortcage mech I usually use.
  • BMCCbry
    I did it last year but only did the shorter route. This year I'll be doing the 80 mile one. I'm taking 34x27 bottom gear.
  • MarcB
    fluff. wrote:
    Am doing this for reasons that escape me now.. anyone whos done it before recommend the sort of gearing needed? Never ridden that side of Leek, and the climb to Flash looks a swine on the profile, can't decide on a triple, changing to spare wheel with 32T big ring & MTB mech, or sticking with the 25T & shortcage mech I usually use.

The road from Hollinsclough to Flash is 20-25% but it is pretty straight, about half a mile long and there aren't any hairpin bends or anything to contend with. A 25 should be OK, depends what you've got on the front but a compact 34 / 32 should get you up anything on the course easy enough although I don't fancy trying Thorncliffe bank on the Super Challenge at 88 miles....

We just need the weather now :?
  • fluff.
    Hm, could be 32T time, have non-compact chainrings. Not doing the super challenge, I have some sanity left :)
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Signed up for it as well for some strange reason!!

changed to a 34-27 this weekend from my usual 23 in preparation, seemed to assist on some hills around me, though the 20%ers will be the test, here's hoping its enough!

Ditto on the weather, I'm in for 100 miles, no sanity left!!

:P
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • charliemil
    charliemil Posts: 15
    Madness, why am I doing this? I live locally and have ridden many of these hills. Fantastic route but I can fully understand why they call it the Legbreaker. If you see a grey haired 50ish bloke struggling along on an Airborne give us a word of encouragement as I fear it might be too much for me.
  • BMCCbry
    Don't worry, Charliemil, just take it at your own pace and enjoy the views. That's what I'm intending to do.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I was the first to sign up for it this year but I'm doing a 25-mile TT instead. Stepping up or pussying down? I'm not sure, possibly both.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • BMCCbry
    :lol: Well I know which I think would be easier! :wink:
  • fluff.
    Not long back, wasn't enjoying it very much so took the big girls blouse option and did the mini. Well done to those who did the 2 longer routes. Organisation was good, although car parking was a bit iffy and a few signs were a bit daft (turn right *now* when coming down descents). So, next year then...
  • charliemil
    charliemil Posts: 15
    I knew this was going to be hard, however......, was doing OK until Grindon and then I just fell apart when I got to the top and slammed into that hideous head wind. So I chickened out and went for the mini. Very difficult conditions I thought so well done all those who completed the bigger rides. Am glad there was a mini option as there was no way I would have managed the 130 today. Next year maybe...?
  • BMCCbry
    I did the 130k route and thought it was brilliant - very well organised, beautiful route, AMAZING feedstations (the Dragon Ride please learn from the Legbreaker on this front!). Well sign-posted apart from one minor problem where a sign had fallen at a junction (but fortunately we guessed right). I also enjoyed the massage and pasta afterwards. The event had a very friendly feel about it too.

Excellent work, Marc. :D

That climb from Hollinsclough was tough! Glad it didn't go on at that gradient any longer than it did... :wink:
  • MarcB
    For those who weren't aware there were unfortunately two accidents on the Legbreaker yesterday.

Both riders are good and will be up and about soon.
    One from falling at a ford on the route and the second from a collision with a vehicle.

Thanks to everyone who enquired about the riders at the HQ yesterday.

We had some feedback over a missing sign, unfortunately the accidents happened close together at the same time we also heard about the sign and the priority was obviously reacting to the accidents.

Hope to see you all next year

Marc
  • MarcB
    Provisional results are now listed here
  • BMCCbry
    Any idea when the photos will be available?
  • fluff.
    http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/c1547777_1.html

Can't find myself on there, didn't think I would as I don't remember seeing a photographer. Some people appear twice somehow, and there's some pics of trees and signposts.. er.. yay ;)

They're 4 quid each btw for digital copies, and an A4 print is £8+ postage.
  • BMCCbry
    That doesn't seem like many pics. I wonder what happened to the ones that were taken on the climb at Grindon :?:
  • MarcB wrote:
    For those who weren't aware there were unfortunately two accidents on the Legbreaker yesterday.

Both riders are good and will be up and about soon.
    One from falling at a ford on the route and the second from a collision with a vehicle.

Thanks to everyone who enquired about the riders at the HQ yesterday.

We had some feedback over a missing sign, unfortunately the accidents happened close together at the same time we also heard about the sign and the priority was obviously reacting to the accidents.

Hope to see you all next year

Marc

Hi Marc - the rider who hit the vehicle (a milk tanker) was in a very bad way with several serious injuries to his head and has required operations on his jaw, to insert plates, and also reconstructive work on his eye socket.

We are hoping he recovers in time but it was a nasty accident.
  • MarcB

Hi Marc - the rider who hit the vehicle (a milk tanker) was in a very bad way with several serious injuries to his head and has required operations on his jaw, to insert plates, and also reconstructive work on his eye socket.

We are hoping he recovers in time but it was a nasty accident.

Thanks, I have been in contact / kept up to date regarding both riders who had accidents, and their progress.
    Although the injuries were / are serious I didn't feel a need to publicise the extent of their injuries out of respect for their privacy.
  • [
    "Both riders are good and will be up and about soon."
    Marc[/quote]

Hi Marc - I respect your point of view but I don't think it is correct to make the accident sound minor which I felt your original comment did. It can be reported accurately without sensationalising it or in any way affecting the privacy of the rider. It is the duty of the media to do so.

I appreciate that you do not want your event to be marred by negative publicity but I think riders know and understand that accidents can happen anywhere and it is rarely the fault of the organisers. Only when there has been negligence by route planners, marshalls, support vehicles etc.is there blowback and correctly so.