cable casing split

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
doing some maintenance on bike an on t right hand shifter the casing on the cable going into t barrel adjuster has split. gears are fine just got some metal bits of wire coming out where t casing is split. would i be ok to just cut t bits off or tape them? dont really want strip t cable just to replace outers.

also looks like t bit where t barrel goes into t shifter is broke, they are xt 9 speed shifters

thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    got a picture of the problem?

could be fine or may need replacing. depends on what has actually happened.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy83
    hope u can see what i mean from the pics

it is just the wire that is enclosed in the black outer casing. as you can see the centre of the casing is still in tact and the cable flows through fine

st831882vs9.th.jpg

st831874ir0.th.jpg

as i say, everything works fine, barrel adjuster can be turned, gears index fine etc
  • andy83
    the first picture is better as it shows the inner casing where the actual cable goes through. would i be ok just cutting the ends off??
  • for the sake of a few quid I would replace with new tbh. as it may work now but soon it will be buggered.
  • andy83
    its just time i aint got for a few weeks to do it really. would it be ok til the end of the month??. would mean taking off all the cable from derailler etc wont it and feeding through

when you say buggered, how u mean?? will it just be the casing will be knackered, cant really damage gears etc can it.
  • andy83
    can i go wrong with the cable i get or not really?? will order some off wiggle

which is best off here??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Gear_Cables/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cable looks too short and yes i would replace it. you may have to do the inner as well.

should be a smooth arc when leaving the lever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's not exactly time consuming, I swapped two shifters and completely recabled both mechs on my Stumpy in under an hour last week and that was whilst looking after two kids under the age of 4 8) .

How did it happen? I've not seen damage like that before.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • andy83
    spose your right bout t time, didnt take long when i set it all up , just skint tile payday

the cable is not too short, just looks not a curve cos a bit of plastic on t shifter has bust and its just under t barrell adjuster

i aint a clue how it happened, came home after work yesterday and all gears were a mess and the cable was popping out, i take inside work so it dont get nicked but keep finding it in different position so might just lock it outsiders

would it be safe for around 100 miles tile i can sort it?

can i just cut t loose ends off for now?
    what potential problem could happen as it seems like not effecting shifting at all