lochs& glens north/south or s/n?

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
the sustrans maps for this route were formerly carlisle to inverness via glasgow, but are now inverness to carlisle. is there a particular reason for this south/ north change? if i take it from carlisle will the signs no longer be facing me so i have to stop at junctions to see the direction?

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Most NCN signs work both ways. The general thought when I planned this was that North to South was better for a following wind (hopefully)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Cunobelin wrote:
    Most NCN signs work both ways. The general thought when I planned this was that North to South was better for a following wind (hopefully)
    I believe that the prevailing winds are from South to North and that's why most people do Lands End to John O'Groats.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    edited June 2008
    Crapaud wrote:
    Cunobelin wrote:
    I believe that the prevailing winds are from South to North and that's why most people do Lands End to John O'Groats.

prevailing winds don't necessarily mean that they'll be there for you on the days that you chose to ride...

The worst headwinds that I suffered on my LEJOG and JOGLE rides were from the North as I headed towards Thurso. Overall there wasn't much to differentiate between the two rides on the headwinds front(sic)
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Mine was local advice from a relative in Ayr who reckoned that travelling South would be better in February / March....
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    These are both excellent routes. I did Troon to Carlisle N-S via Glentrool and loved it. Some great forest tracks. However, I also have done Glasgow to Inverness (S-N) and thought that was excellent as well. Signage on both routes is good but navigation is pretty straightforward, especially as you get further north. The only hassle I had was coming into Inverness so i did my usual trick of abandoning the cyclepaths and taking the most direct oprion despite the traffic.

The stretch from Dumfries to Carlisle is pretty flat and gets very exposed around the estuary so a headwind would be very irritating.
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    When would be the best time of year to do the Lochs and Glens route for mainly camping?
  • Peter Main
    Peter Main Posts: 60
    May & June are the best months but the weather could be good (or horrible) at any time. July and August should definitely be avoided if camping, the midges will be grim. 8)
    pete-the-bike

the idea is to die young as late as possible