WoooooHooooo!!! a new way to crash and die horribly

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Clip-on tribars
New from the bike shop today,just tried 'em out and they are the scareyest things ever,you go belting down the road completely unable to steer and then you come to a corner and you've got no brakes.
I might get used to them but have to say they are not my best purchase ever.
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    They are fine in the right place and the right time. I would never use them except for time trialing but have been over 45 mph on mine with no trouble.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i did find them odd and hard to control to start with, just used them on straights to start with, practising for weeks before race season,

Left them on the bikes for my long rides, and just used them for more and more of the rides (not obviosuly though areas with lots of junctions etc, quiet country roads with rolling winding routes, but obviously only when i could see completely ahead on desents)

:)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • boybiker
    I only bought them for my TTing
    I am sure they will be wonderful
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    Which ones did you get?
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Practice, practice, practice...

You'll soon notice your times come down when using them.......
  • boybiker
    I can't even tell you who made them, just generic clip on alloy bars, £40 from the LBS.
    One good thing is the pikies do a double take when they see them so maybe it makes my bike less attractive to them.
  • Roadbike
    Roadbike Posts: 23
    Hope this won't offend but you might want to think about bike fit. If your frame is the wrong size or your set-up's wrong, clip-ons will accentuate handling issues. Might be worth a ride to a LBS that understands fit and see if they would be willing to comment on your position. I run Syntace C2's and spend 90% of every ride on them (including cornering, braking, etc.) I find the handling elegant, stable, & secure.

JMHO, there is an adjustment period but fit/position are the key to clip-ons.