Mid Season TT Training Plans

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
Hi all,

Been trying to find some mid season training plans that including riding your local club ten each week as a guide to compare with what im doing.... Anyone have a link to any?

Keep seeing refrences to you needing to cut down your long slow mileage during this time of year and focus on speed and recovery rides... and risk of burning out mid season,and little conerned about this.

Current weekly plan is:

Saturday - Intervals (10min warmup, 6 x 3min/3min at LT, then 6 x 20sec/10sec sprint/recovery,10min cooldown)
Sunday - Steady long ride including plenty of hills to improve my hill ability (41miles with 4600ft of climbing)
Monday - Recovery ride 30/45 mins at around 130BPM
Tuesday - Gentle club run - 18-20 mi HR average 150-160BPM
Wednesday - Off bike
Thursday - Local 10TT Race
Friday - Same as monday recovery ride, or off bike

Now i realise you can't know a lot about how i ride etc, so not looking for detailed info,just more of, looks okay,or iwould cutout this or something like that, and what other people do over the summer while racing club 10s each week

Info about me, 27, weight fluctuates between 155 and 160lbs, Resting HR low 50s, Max HR 205 (according to some repeated hill climbing ,thats the mostit read), been riding since octber, done around 2400 miles since then (used to run before hand, alwyas done some sport)

Any advice would be appriciated

Thanks

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• willbevan
    no one got some advise for a newbie TT chap?
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    I found my 10 times improved once I mixed in some road racing. You just can't train as hard to get he same benefit. I don't tend to worry to much about the articles I read on burnout and not doing long slow miles, the fastest cyclists I know just ride most days as hard and as fast as they can with not much science to it. Just make sure you recover well with good food and rest.
  • willbevan wrote:
    We can provide general advice but you are asking a specific coaching question where detailed knowledge of you and your riding is required to provide a sensible and thoughful response.

What are your limiters relative to target event?

Focus on addressing those.
  • Hi there

I found this training plan to be pretty useful

http://timetrialtraining.co.uk/

I realise that "one size fits all" is not ideal but there are certainly some useful principles explained and interesting interval sessions to follow. I'm not so sure about the resistance exercises but even the author expresses the fact that there is a bit of divergence of opinion on those.

Simon
  • willbevan
    Hi there

I found this training plan to be pretty useful

http://timetrialtraining.co.uk/

I realise that "one size fits all" is not ideal but there are certainly some useful principles explained and interesting interval sessions to follow. I'm not so sure about the resistance exercises but even the author expresses the fact that there is a bit of divergence of opinion on those.

Simon

Cheers will have a read of that tonight :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• willbevan
    willbevan wrote:
    We can provide general advice but you are asking a specific coaching question where detailed knowledge of you and your riding is required to provide a sensible and thoughful response.

What are your limiters relative to target event?

Focus on addressing those.

Hi Alex, understand what your saying about needing more knowledge.

Think i should of worded my questions better, im more curious what other people do when racing weekly club TTs as can''t find any generic plans to give me an idea of what to do :)

Its my first season, and would prefer to avoid any newbie mistakes :), like doing to much interal trainining, doing to much long slow miles etc

Thanks

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    In the run up to the Marmotte, I was trying to combine both fast racing (track and crits) and steady miles. It's not ideal perhaps for my race performances (esp track), but I don't think it's done me any harm as such.

Typical week:
    Monday - easy ride to work and back - 20 miles
    Tuesday - ride to 1 hr crit race and home - 65 miles
    Weds - easy spin or nothing
    Thur - easy ride 30 miles
    Fri - track racing
    Sat / Sun - 4-6hr ride plus shorter club ride as a recovery

Now the Marmotte is out the way, I can just concentrate on fast stuff and just do a club run at the weekend as a recovery ride.
  • mjhale
    mjhale Posts: 28
    If your focus is on improving your 10 times then work out some target times, then split the 10 into chunks eg 2.5 mile chunks (or shorter) and try riding at the tempo/pace you would need to sustain to beat your target time. Try increasing the distance you can sustain the pace for either every week or two.

For TT'ing I don't see what benefit the intervals will have unless you feel you are lacking strength or the courses you are riding are undulating. Iit will help with general fitness though...

Would help to know what sort of times you are getting now and what you would like to get to.
  • willbevan
    Cheers for replying all!
    mjhale wrote:
    For TT'ing I don't see what benefit the intervals will have unless you feel you are lacking strength or the courses you are riding are undulating. Iit will help with general fitness though....

Course i am riding are underlating unfortunetlyand the reason im doing intervals on underlating courses, this is last weeks ride 26:26 (my last attempts before this, 26:34, 26:44,27:04 so consistenlly coming down,but also my heart rate average consistenly rising)

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6211805

Next week im aiming to get under 26:15,small consistent chunks

Couse im riding tomorrow, is even more underlating, (one of the first races of the season so 31min odd, done it since as a training ride in 27:51)

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5615423

If your focus is on improving your 10 times then work out some target times, then split the 10 into chunks eg 2.5 mile chunks (or shorter) and try riding at the tempo/pace you would need to sustain to beat your target time. Try increasing the distance you can sustain the pace for either every week or two.

Thhanks for the suggestion, think i will try try this, as this gives me some structured way of mesuring the improvement :)

Would help to know what sort of times you are getting now and what you would like to get to.

26:26 on that one courseim doing regularly (firsttime i did it onboxing day 07 did 33:58, but gota better bike since then, and over 2000 miles of cycling since), aiming to get into 25s by the end of my local clubs races whichis end of august, so think i shouldnt have a problem, its my first season racing not sure what a realistic goal is, if i can getto mind 25s i will be extactic!

I do realise though, that its not a linear relationship between power and speed, as faster you go more wind drag, and harder it is to go faster:S

Thanks

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• mjhale wrote:

For TT'ing I don't see what benefit the intervals will have unless you feel you are lacking strength or the courses you are riding are undulating. Iit will help with general fitness though
    I don't get it.

You suggest breaking up the ride into 2.5 mile chunks and to ride them at TT pace, then you say intervals won't help.

Which is it?

Please explain what you mean by the difference between TT fitness and general fitness?
  • mjhale
    mjhale Posts: 28
    Alex

Doing 6x20 sec intervals (that the OP is doing) is very different from 2.5mile intervals.

IME general CV fitness will help to a certain level, but the OP seems to be doing a fair amount of riding and wants to kick on. Particularly for 10s many beginners just aren't used to the difference between going out on club rides and riding a TT - it is a totally different style of riding.
  • mjhale wrote:
    Alex

Doing 6x20 sec intervals (that the OP is doing) is very different from 2.5mile intervals.

IME general CV fitness will help to a certain level, but the OP seems to be doing a fair amount of riding and wants to kick on. Particularly for 10s many beginners just aren't used to the difference between going out on club rides and riding a TT - it is a totally different style of riding.
    Ah, gotcha - I see. Had me confused there.

Well yes, 10s require a few ducks to be lined up in a row but the primary physiological determinant of performance is power at threshold.
  • willbevan
    cheers for the input guys, longer intervals i think will help a lot, as doing 20 second, or 3 min intervals, arnt close to that :)

Will try them saturday and see how i get on(realisei said that already but gf got intheway last weekend),hoping to break 26:15 this week, wish me luck:)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon