Best bike out of these 2?????

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have just been to 2 dealers and checked out the following 2 bikes and had a go on each. The Cube is slightly more expensive and with the Lapierre the dealer is giving away 10% of the bike value in accessories! I like both bikes (it will be my first bike).

The big plus with the Cube would seem to be the 105 components. Any general advice on which would appear to be best 'on paper'?

http://www.lapierrebikes.com/lapierre/e ... S-TECH-200

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/PEL ... .htm#anker

Thanks

Comments

• steerpike
    I should perhaps say that I will be using it mostly for a 10 mile each way daily commute and also some weekenders of up to 70 miles - for this reason, the Cube perhaps has the edge?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The cube looks better both aesthetically and with it's componentry.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • steerpike
    I agree.

The guys in the Lapierre shop were mega helpful though and offered to size me up and test ride very professionally. But I have identified a 56cm is my size so I guess it's down to which is best.

The guy in the shop said a lot of people aim for a 90 degree angle between the extended arms and body when in a riding position - is this a commonly held view?
  • The Cube looks alot better on paper: the Lapierre seems to be all Shimano 2200 (bottom of the range); the Cube has Shimano 105 (good, solid, mid-to-upper range). Also better wheels. But then, go with the one you feel most comfortable on: you didn't say which you prefered after the test ride!
  • steerpike
    thanks guys. I kinda liked them both!

The Cube is advertised as a Tourer though? why? Not that I'm particularly fussed by the classification and, in fact, if that , means it's a little tougher then great.
  • redddraggon
    It's not a touring bike, perhaps it's a slight mistranslation from the original german, it just looks like it's got more of a "sportive" or less aggressive geometry.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I didn't come across the Cube bike when I was looking for a new ride recently. It's a good looking bike and pretty highly spec'd for the price level.

If anyone wants my Bianchi 1885 so I can get the Cube then let me know :lol:

Steve
  • i'd go for the cube as well, better components and far better looking, lucy has has fulcrum racing 7's and shimano 105. what prices are they both?
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    The Cube, no question. 105 vs 2200? Why are you even thinking about it! Shimano groups go 2200 - Sora - Tiagra - 105, you are three groupsets up with the Cube. It's also nearly a kilo lighter on claimed weight.

I know someone who rides a Cube (not that one) and it is a very nice looking bike in the flesh. He loves it.

Nothing against Lapierre, they make good bikes too and I know people with them, but there is no competition between those two models.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    these can't possibly the same sort of price range surely? - there must be a few hundred quid between them and if there isn't then the Cube wins by a long way - it has 105 components the whatever-the-other-brand-is (never heard of them) has non-group components - have a search to see what people think of Sora as a groupset and then bear in mind that the 2200 stuff is a notch below that!!

seriously - the cube is a great looking, well specc'ed bike - the other is not
  • redddraggon
    gkerr4 wrote:
    whatever-the-other-brand-is (never heard of them)

Lapierre have been sponsoring FdJ for a good while.........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    really - i'd have thought they would have had a big brand sponsoring them.
  • steerpike
    ok - you're right, the Lapierre was down from approx £600 to £500 and the Cube is £699. But, I'm getting it tax free (work scheme) so the monthly diff. is negligible. I'm favouring the Cube.
  • gkerr4
    i don't think it is worth even £500 - it has the components of a £350 bike!.

cube for me!
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Lapierre are a lot bigger in France; they are very long established (since 1946) and as redddraggon says are bike sponsor for Française des Jeux. They are reasonably popular here in Dublin as one of the bigger bike shops imports them directly. They make very good bikes, there is nothing wrong with the brand at all, but this is not a comparison of like with like; that Cube is miles ahead, well worth the extra £200 too I'd say.
  • I have a Cube Peloton and not only is it a thing of beauty to polish and admire, but it is also great to ride - comfy and responsive.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The Cube is so much the prettier that even if it were not better specc'd it would STILL get my vote!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yup, Cube - it'll be a great bike in the long term whereas you'd almost certainly get the urge to replace the Lapierre after a year or two. And £500 does seem a lot for the Lapierre, though if that means a comfortable frame which suits you perfectly, it's probably worth it.
  • steerpike
    ok - it's looking like Bikescheme are diggin there heels in and insisting I get a bike from Halfords (even though Halfords tole me they could source any bike). In this case, I may go for this one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... p-08-22946

Any thoughts on how this compares to the Cube?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    steerpike wrote:
    ok - it's looking like Bikescheme are diggin there heels in and insisting I get a bike from Halfords (even though Halfords tole me they could source any bike). In this case, I may go for this one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... p-08-22946

Any thoughts on how this compares to the Cube?
    Well YOU should dig YOUR heels in - Halfords do source non-stock bikes for many people using the scheme, they obviously make less money this way, but they are reneging on the deal. Don't take any sh1t from them. Don't just rely on info from the shop staff.

That said, the Boardman may well be a fine bike, but you should have the choice. It's your money.
  • redddraggon
    Stand your ground - the cube looks far better, is better specced, and doesn't have the "halfords association".
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • steerpike
    OK - I've spoken to Halfords and because my employers scheme is through BIKESCHEME and not CYCLETOWORK, it means I can only have "a Halfords bike". This is a real pain. Most of my local Halfords have barely any stock so there's no chance to have a look at some bikes without them having to order them specially. They don't do Cube either. Boardman is looking a likely suspect now.
  • I was going to use the Cycle2Work scheme that my employer offers. Thing is they only allow expenditure up to £500 (including accessories!), because that's apparently enough to get a decent commuter.

Whilst that may be true, it's not very helpful if you want to be able to get a really ace bike at a massive discount :cry:

Steve
  • steerpike
    the irony is (though maybe I'm missing something) Halfords said it would be absolutely no problem getting me the Cube bike. But Bikescheme won't allow it as it's "not a Halfords bike". Whereas Kuoto, Meridian etc...."are Halfords bikes"?? I guess Halfords and these manufacturers have deals in place. Frustrating for me though.
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    That's a shame. Our cycle to work scheme is via halfords and I got a trek bike from a LBS as halfords didn't stock them. However, your scheme is clearly different. What I would say though is that despite the fact that our scheme can get practically any bike you want through halfords, a colleague nevertheless went with the boardman you are looking at and is very pleased with it. It also has very good reviews - just make sure halfords sets it up properly.
  • steerpike
    thanks Juliet. I went to another branch of Halfords after work and got the same answer - I can have any bike I want and they will source it!!! It seems Halfords head office are not communicating properly with their branches. The 2 queries I have outstanding are:

1. Will Halfords be able to do it for the same cost (£700 - the Cube I mean).

2. As you say, I'm not confident Halfords can set the bike up properly as I've had some bad experiences with them. Problem is I'm something of a novice so not sure I'll be able to tell.
  • meagain
    "As you say, I'm not confident Halfords can set the bike up properly as I've had some bad experiences with them. Problem is I'm something of a novice so not sure I'll be able to tell."

I'd have no qualms about the Boardman or any other bike FROM H'fords - but I sure as hell wouldn't let the staff set it up for me. Only bike I bought there was on the condition that it came still in the un-opened box!

Do you have no mates who can "assemble" it for you?
    d.j.
  • steerpike
    this is worrying! No I'm not sure I do - there is a guy I can ask to check it over I think, good advice.
  • meagain
    Not wishing to be sued I should hasten to add that I'm sure that many H'fords employees entirely competent. I simply consider myself to be more caring with a bike that I am going to ride - and on which MY life and well being depends.
    d.j.
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    steerpike wrote:
    thanks Juliet. I went to another branch of Halfords after work and got the same answer - I can have any bike I want and they will source it!!! It seems Halfords head office are not communicating properly with their branches. The 2 queries I have outstanding are:

1. Will Halfords be able to do it for the same cost (£700 - the Cube I mean).

2. As you say, I'm not confident Halfords can set the bike up properly as I've had some bad experiences with them. Problem is I'm something of a novice so not sure I'll be able to tell.

Yes Halfords will get the bike for the same price.

You can get the bike (unbuilt) and then pay a LBS between £30 and £50 to set it up.

Let us know how you get on