Hub geared bikes

ride_whenever
ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
What is available in the way of hub geared bikes, normally I'd look but I need somewhere to start. My friend has had his commuting bike stolen, what he wants is something fast like a road bike, but not nickable in london.

I was thinking maybe a hybrid with hub gears and then drop bars and really thin tyres for speed. Low maintainence and should be pretty fast, even if he has to up the chainring a bit.

Opinions?

Comments

• Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    One of these?

dahon-vitesse-d5-2007-folding-bike-2007.jpg

Not sure about the handlebars, but could fit narrower slick tyres.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    What is available in the way of hub geared bikes, normally I'd look but I need somewhere to start. My friend has had his commuting bike stolen, what he wants is something fast like a road bike, but not nickable in london.

I was thinking maybe a hybrid with hub gears and then drop bars and really thin tyres for speed. Low maintainence and should be pretty fast, even if he has to up the chainring a bit.

Opinions?

Only way to ensure it is not nickable in London is to ensure it is NEVER brought to London.

Those lovable cockney will steal anything
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bobfat
    bobfat Posts: 4
    Many of the main manufacturers have a hub geared bike in their range.

I've got a Specialized crossroads hub (Nexus Inter-8 hub gear), as a hack/pub bike. I think they've re-named the Crossroads series now.

Cannondale do a Badboy with an Alfine hub or even a Roholf version if you've got the cash. When I was looking there was a Nexus-geared Giant, Ridgeback and Carrera.

Overall mine is fit for purpose (once I'd fitted slicks). They're not light and the range of gears may be insufficient if you live in a hilly area (although you can change the rear cog).

Alternatively, if you want speed and simplicity, why not try fixed.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    He really doesn't want a SS or a fixie, that's what i originally suggested, so any of the commuting nexus hubbed ones should do?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Posted this before but:

We had a Spesh Globe IG8 with the Nexus hub gears and found them so hateful that we returned the bike after 4 months and got a full refund.

Terrible range of gears, heavy and very creaky. Not good.
  • If i remember rightly Surf-Mat you were using the bikes round Devon/Cornwall where there is a prevalence of hills - unlike London where it's mostly flat.

I have a Spec globe with Nexus hub. It works but now i'm getting crunching sounds from it maybe from grit. But can i find a lbs that would open it up????! No one will open it that I've approached, they just don't have the experience in servicing them unfortunatly.
  • Surf-Matt
    Correct - it is hilly down here but I also didn't like the creaking or difficulty of servicing. My LBS was similar too - no real idea.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I was looking into the Charge Mixer which has hub gears.

To be honest on my commute (Twickenham to Southbank)I can do it all with 8 gears, by keeping it on the big chainring on my slicked mtb...But I did choose my route to avoid anything with the slightest incline :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Surf-Matt
    Snooks - just realised what you do (for a job)!

Where are you based? The inlaws have a Fisher 46 (first built in 15 years) and were looking to get some decent shots of it - they bought the moulds and plan to get more made.

My mate desgined the Pearl 50 too.
  • dang65
    dang65 Posts: 1,006
    I've got a Decathlon Triban 5 with hub gears:

4980.jpg

Have had it for about four years now with no problems, and I cycle up a couple of nasty hills on the way to work. Only gripe with the 7 gear range is on the fast downhill where I could do with a higher gear. It's fine for uphill, even really steep stuff, IMHO.

Very nice commuting bike anyway. Also has grip shifts, which I've insisted on since I first tried them about ten years ago. I'm not sure if they still make them though. :-(
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Where are you based? The inlaws have a Fisher 46 (first built in 15 years) and were looking to get some decent shots of it - they bought the moulds and plan to get more made.

I'm based in London, but travel round the world. I get back to Cornwall every now and again. The Fisher 46 sounds interesting, any idea on the time scale (pm me)

I haven't been out on the Pearl 50, but I shot the Pearl 55 in 2003 when it was in Motor Boat and Yachting, it made the cover :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392

Opinions?

Order a Cotic Roadrat from 18 Bikes with an Alfine or SRAM hub. Probably avoid the Nexus, because of the mixed rep, and a Rolhoff because it costs a fortune. The short version of the Rat frame is designed for drops, and you can have discs too.

And btw, "really thin tyres" actually have higher rolling resistance than wider ones made out of the same compound, although this is outweighed by air resistance if you're riding at TT speeds. Read the docs that tyre manufacturers provide on their sites.
  • jethro924
    jethro924 Posts: 49
    How about one of these :D

9a331ch8.th.jpg

Can't see it appealing to the common criminal. Drop bars, hub gears, mudguards it's got the lot! currently on ebay for £40. If the wife would let me have yet another bike I'd buy it myself and make it a fixie!

I have got a Carrera Subway 8 from Halfords (8spd nexus hub gear, drum brakes) check out

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ryId_60956

Wanted to put drops on it but you simply cannot get a shifter to work as the dedicated twist grip shifter has a different amount of cable pull. The only options are to mount the shifter on a "space bar" or get a converter so it fits on the end of the drop bar where a bar end shifter would go. You cannot use a bar end shifter in index mode and I was strongly advised, by Robin Thorn of SJSC, that you cannot run in friction mode and "feel" for the gears as you would just knacker the hub.

After about 500 miles the hub started clicking and clunking so I thought "sod this" and put a fixed hub on which allowed me to have drop bars. Got Halford to replace the hub with a brand newie which I promptly ebayed and got £90 for it!
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Be prepared for the gear range - anything but a Rohloff will have a similar range to an old 70's 10 speed, which should be fine, but will seem paltry if you've been spoiled by MTBs. For mounting twist grips on drop handlebars, you can use one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Minou ... 300001170/
    minoura%20sg2%2003.jpg
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Try looking at the Charge Tap (see below)

http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bikes/detail.php?id=14

Internally geared hub, tange frame with a nice look about it.

Charge are a British company and they make some tasty looking bikes at reasonable prices.

Their Charge Plug SS is very popular, I've even seen messengers riding them...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Surf-Matt
    snooks wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I'm based in London, but travel round the world. I get back to Cornwall every now and again. The Fisher 46 sounds interesting, any idea on the time scale (pm me)

I haven't been out on the Pearl 50, but I shot the Pearl 55 in 2003 when it was in Motor Boat and Yachting, it made the cover :D

Think he designed that too (he worked for Dixon Yacht Design at the time)!

Boat is currently out of the water in the Med but they are based in South Devon - they had it shipped down there but will hopefully bring it back soon. Lovely looking thing (I think!) - this is the boat being moved from the builders yard in Holland a while back:

FisherLock1.jpg

They are over here tonight so will see what their plans are.

Sorry VERY off topic - errmm hub geared bikes - pants.