London to Southend this Sunday....

babyshambles
babyshambles Posts: 149
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
So, who's doing this and what times are you hoping for?

This will be my first time on a road bike. I have done it on an old MTB with MTB tyres and managed 3hrs 43 last time and I was hoping to get that down to 3:20 on road bike... thats about 18mph.

Guess that wil be dependant on whether the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Its a great atmosphere when you get to Priory Park and the trains are so much better organised and convenient (compared to the ghastly london-brighton)

Comments

• Doing it with some mates and planning a slow enjoyable chatty ride (4-5 hours) and a couple of pints in Southend.

Have you had your race pack from Bikeevents yet, I've had nothing thru the post at all??
  • babyshambles
    Hi, yeah, we got our racepacke and numbers etc few weeks ago... give em a call.

The atmosphere is great at the end, beers and fantastic hamburgers, jazz band, massages :D
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    Hi there, I am doing London Southend for the first time. I'm looking forward to it although slightly nervous as a previous post about it on this forum when comparing it to London Brighton said the reason a lot less people do it is because it is 'so hard' with 'constant climbing.'

I was aiming for a time of under 4 and a half hours on my road bike - I'm moderstaly fit and put in quite a few miles on the bike so I would have thought such a time achievable but given that the previous poster referred to above pretty much described it as a sportive I'm not so sure now :oops:
  • 'constant climbing' :shock:

(there doesn't seem to be smiley that neatly sums up suddenly worried and slightly nauseas)
  • babyshambles
    It is not "constant Climbing" at all. A few hills at the beginning but they are followed by decents for recovery time but Essex is generally flat as is London.

Every year, people who do not get on a bike from one year to the next complete it. I met someone who took a leisurly 10 hours!!! That said, there are a lot who do it in 2.5hrs and ride back... i wave at them :oops:

If you do get tired, pull over and have a break.... enjoy the day.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    The atmosphere is great at the end, beers and fantastic hamburgers, jazz band, massages :D

Just my luck, my car will be at the finish line..... :?
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    edited July 2008
    Do you know if you can enter on the day? Can't see any mention of the possibility of doing so on their site.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • babyshambles
    Yes, thats what I have done previously. the price is the same i think... £15. Just go to the tent and fill in a small form.

weather is looking good too :)
  • simon johnson
    Yes, thats what I have done previously. the price is the same i think... £15. Just go to the tent and fill in a small form.

weather is looking good too :)

That was quick, are you watching me :shock:
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • babyshambles
    .... every breath you take.....

i had an email... since i am at work, any reason to deviate from my work :lol:
  • simon johnson
    .... every breath you take.....

i had an email... since i am at work, any reason to deviate from my work :lol:

Then I hope nobody's watching you!!
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Look's like we have two threads going on this :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12577467

I'll send people to this one as it's longer.

It is a great ride and if you're worried about the contant climbing, don't be. There are a couple of hills that aren't much fun - one at Chigwell as you leave London and one about five miles from the finish. Someone sent me a copy of there gpx data from last year's ride and although this is from their home, it does give you an idea of the ups and downs but they look worse than they really are http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/61932

It really is a great ride though. Here's my exploits from last year: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.listAll&friendID=213131637&startID=288832498&StartPostedDate=2007-07-17%2015:45:00&next=1&page=1&Mytoken=4673EC1B-DAC2-4C81-AEE3712A14DF42131084238

Latest weather forecast (I obssess about such things):
    080720weatherforecastoz8.png
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I'll be doing it. 8)

Tony... hope that weather forecast is correct on the day!
  • Shaky
    Shaky Posts: 50
    I'm doing it with a few guys from work. We're riding back too.

I just hope the current forecast from Metcheck is right. If we time it right, almost a constant tailwind :D

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=london&day=6
    "Take me Garth"
    "Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I done this route a couple of years ago. Nice route but there is definitely no climbing as such guys, good luck with it and above all, enjoy it!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I only found out about this today, which is conveniently the same day I took ownership of the first road bike I've had in about 17 years. Sounds like a great opportunity to stretch my legs, and I've already got a couple of friends keen so it looks like a go-er. My only slight reservation is that the beeb's weather department are predicting rain towards the weekend, and while I've no problem with it personally I'd hate to get the new wheels covered in crap first time out.

Here's hoping the sun is out...
  • thomasali
    thomasali Posts: 179
    Me and a load of mates / colleagues will be riding it, shame there isnt any hills, I really enjoyed riding up ditchling beacon in the London to Brighton!
  • babyshambles
    Nice Blog Tony666

What time are you hoping for this time? I see you were 4:30 last time and you have another year under your belt.
  • simon johnson
    For anyone that's in two minds, you can enter on the day- I've just received confirmation from the organisers.

Hopefully I will be there.

ps can anyone suggest a map (if there's one in existence) that covers the entire route and, obviously, details the minor roads to be covered - I'm considering riding back but my navigation skills are poor.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • babyshambles
    I thiink there is one on www.mapmyride.com if you search it. sure i've seen it on one of those sites.
  • simon johnson
    Again Babyshambles!!
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • simon johnson
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    After seeing this I think i'm going to give it a go - First time doing 60 miles but am looking forward to it :)

Is it a nightmare getting back on the train?
  • RC21
    Oh; link to the event if anyone needs it:
    http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=165
  • babyshambles
    The trains are a dream, every 30 mins i think and no limit on bikes etc. £10 i think and good atmosphere

The london brighton one is a nightmare as they ban the bikes i think on train so you have to get mini busses !!
  • RC21
    Could someone confirm that i'd be alright with this plan - first time i've done this:

Turn up for about 7:00(ish) -> Register -> Start at around 07:30/08:00 -> Cycle to Southend -> Have a beer -> come home?

What are the roads like - do you get much traffic/bother from cars, etc?

Thanks
    RC
  • babyshambles
    perfect plan except you missed off eating the BEST cheeseburgers in the world :D

pretty traffic free once out london and untill you reach hullbridge, but there are so many cyclists that the cars are fine and its a once a year event so they are no problem and warned well in advance
  • RC21
    Thanks for the help.
    perfect plan except you missed off eating the BEST cheeseburgers in the world :D

Where do you get these from?

Cheers.
    RC
  • babyshambles
    the end park, there will be various stalls and stuff there..... the thought of a well earned beer and burger motivates me for the 60miles :D