Old Campag gear ratio question

mrchuffy
mrchuffy Posts: 73
edited July 2008 in Road general
Hi, I have a 14-24 toothed 6 speed freewheel block I'd like to use with an old Campag Super Record equipped bike, anyone know if the rear mech can handle this ratio, ie, 24 teeth? Its a 42-52 Chainset up front too. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Can't see why not. That'd have been a fairly standard block in the day...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    My Uppadine runs the same 14-24 block as a 5 speed no problem, 42/52 rings, super record front and rear.

I do find the Shimano/suntour stuff of the period is superior in shifting.

Before I am berated I run both, Shimano on the Hurlow. They are both new old stock so a fair comparison.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Yeah, Suntour was so superior at around that time. Amazingly.

Most people tried to run the smallest block they could because number of teeth and jumps between cogs was much more of an issue for easy shifting. I've still got some 14~18 five speed corn-cobs somewhere.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i've got a 14-20, pretty much one tooth jumps, on my colnago. great for close ratio cadence, etc, not so good for mountains.
  • mrchuffy
    mrchuffy Posts: 73
    Thanks for your help all, the reason I ask is that I've installed the block but the derailleur upper jockey wheel seems to be binding with the sprocket when in the lowest gear, since theres no provision for adjusting the angle position on a SR mech I suppose i'll have to shorten the chain to see if that gives me a little room. Cheers for all your help though.