Rides around Grassington?

nmcgann
nmcgann Posts: 1,780
I'm on holiday up there in a couple of weeks time and am looking for suggestions for some training loops of 1h30m-2h duration.

I've had a quick look in Tracklogs and I quite fancy the Grassington->Airton->Settle->Langcliffe->Malham Tarn->Kilnsey->Grassington route (30 miles).

Anyone else got suggestions?

Neil
--
"Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Just ride and you'll find loads fo great quiet roads to give your body a thorough going over. Head up to Kettlewell and beyond for hills, and/or towards Stainforth.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    You could ride a bit of the White Rose Classic Route Medium Route.

Grassington-Conistone-Littondale-Halton Gill-Malham-Airton-Winterburn-Cracoe-Thorpe-Burnsall-Grassington.

Great area with some stiff climbs.

I have the whole medium route plotted in Tracklogs so I have chopped out the bits you don't need. It says it is just shy of 37 miles with 1029m of climbing. If you want me to send you the file PM me your e-mail address.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I can suggest something special if you fancy doing a longer ride one day...

Grassington - (Wharfedale) - Kettlewell - PARK RASH!!! - (Coverdale) - Coverham - East Witton - Abbey Hill - Ellingstring - Healey - Leighton - Lofthouse - (Nidderdale) - Pateley Bridge - Grassington

About 85 km, 1,600 m of climbing (53 miles, 5,250 ft). I did it as part of a 200 km route I devised from Hebden Bridge and it was lovely.
  • I did that very route up Park Rash and around to Lofthouse on Sunday. It's a hard ride, but stunningly beautiful all the way and mostly traffic-free. The other must-do is the loop Grassington-Kilnsey-Arncliffe-Top of Malham Tarn- Silverdale-Halton Gill-Arncliffe-Conistone-Grassington. You could drop in and out of Malham for refreshment, or detour to Kettlewell where there is a great cafe. There is a choice of road from Grassington to Arncliffe, so use the west/south side of the valley going out and return on the north/east side. I wish you good weather.
  • andywgg
    andywgg Posts: 303
    You could also do the short white rose classic - down Whafedale past Burnsall, Aptrick, Barden, over Langbar, Down to Otley (fab caff - you can't eat a fiver's worth of food), Pool, up Norwood Edge, Blubberhouses, West End, Greenhow Hill, Hebden, Grassington. Map and directions on the WRC website. Bit longer than 2 hours - about 80km but a bit of the area you maybe wouldn't normally see as the tendency is always to go north.

I'd also look at going down to Hellifield or Settle then down south of the A65 - Slaidburn, Bolton-by-Bowland etc - lovely bit of the world and again not somewhere you'd normally go. We go a lot (live outside Skipton) as it's a nice change from the "Grassington/Malham/Littondale circuits we ride a lot.

Other possibility is making use of the Settle to Carlisle railway - maybe do a longish one way trip to Dent then get the train back to Settle or Gargrave and pootle back to Grassington.
    may the dawes be with you...

andy