Tour of Britain sportive

samoff
samoff Posts: 128
Does anyone have a link for the ToB stage 5 sportive to Dalby Forest? I can't find any reference to it on their site (or anywhere else). I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined reading it in C+ (my copy of which is lost in the melee at home).
"Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit

Comments

• Can't see it...

Just looked at the route.... 1.5 miles from my house! :)

Too many main roads for a sportive though.....Surely!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    It's here:

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/therace_ ... _index.asp

Can't help thinking the stage could have been so much more interesting, taking them upto the finish at Dalby via parts of the Ryedale Rumble route as opposed to the sterile route out to Bridlington/Scarborough.

And getting in/out of Dalby for the finish will be a nightmare.
  • samoff
    Yes, that's the stage, but what about the mass-participation event? They're supposed to be aiming for 3000 riders, but I can't them getting that if they don't publicise it.
    "Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit
  • samoff wrote:
    They're supposed to be aiming for 3000 riders, but I can't them getting that if they don't publicise it.

If last years ToB sportive is anything to go by, its a very well kept secret. I only found out about last years ride purely by chance a week or so before the event. Again they were expecting loads of riders. hardly any there. The organisation was fantastic etc but the charity (can't remember which) clearly didn't make much out of it.

JB
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Last year's ride was in Somerset wasn't it? Know, that despite initial plans, it was done independently and nothing to do with the ToB organisers, just over the route of the ToB stage.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    The last Yorkshire one (two years ago ?) was announced way too late and really quiet.

I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about point-to-point rides anyway, too much hassle getting back.
  • Last year's ride was in Somerset wasn't it? Know, that despite initial plans, it was done independently and nothing to do with the ToB organisers, just over the route of the ToB stage.

Last years ride was supposed to be there but in the end it was run between Worecster and Wolverhampton.
    andy_wrx wrote:
    The last Yorkshire one (two years ago ?) was announced way too late and really quiet.

I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about point-to-point rides anyway, too much hassle getting back.

They laid on a coach fwith mags and water for the riders and a truck (complete with cardboard "diveders") for the bikes. A slight extra cost but well worth it. It was a bit like being on a team bus.

If the Yorkshire ride that you are referring to is the Holme Moss (blowing an absolute hooley) and Snake Pass route, I did that one. I suffered on that ride.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • monstadog
    monstadog Posts: 80
    Both the start and finish are easily rideable distances for me so I'll be doing it. If I can find details :D
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Last year's ride was in Somerset wasn't it? Know, that despite initial plans, it was done independently and nothing to do with the ToB organisers, just over the route of the ToB stage.

Last years ride was supposed to be there but in the end it was run between Worecster and Wolverhampton.

Yup I remember now, it ran at the end of August didn't it.
  • samoff
    C+ has a news article about this event, with a link to a a site which it declares to be up:
    www.tourride.co.uk. That address auto-forwards to the ToB homepage.

I'm starting to wonder if this event has been cancelled already. Which is a shame as it would go right past my in-laws' house.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    samoff wrote:
    C+ has a news article about this event, with a link to a a site which it declares to be up:
    www.tourride.co.uk. That address auto-forwards to the ToB homepage

Gives a 'page under construction' message to me !
  • craigwend
    craigwend Posts: 321
    I put the question in office and got e-mail reply!

Posted 07 Jul 2008 22:04
    Whats the website for the 'etape' route of the tour of britain?

Not the one you quote in C+!

Nice prompt reply!!!

Craig

It would appear that after asking us to write about the Etape, the ToB organisers have run into a few delays. We’ll keep you posted.

All the best

Rob

Rob Spedding
    Editor
    Cycling Plus
    www.bikeradar.com

No one confessed the Machine was out of hand. Year by year it was served with increased efficiency and decreased intelligence.
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk